It's hard to choose the 10 best rock songs of the '90s because there were so many great songs. These are the 10 best Rock songs of the '90s but a list like this is very subjective and your list will probably vary.
- "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana. This was the song that spread Grunge Rock into the mainstream. This was the first hit song Nirvana had. This song was also there biggest hit.
- "Black Hole Sun" Soundgarden. This song was written in 15 minutes by Soundgarden member Chris Cornell. This song then went on to spend 7 weeks at number one on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Charts.
- "Jeremy" Pearl Jam. The song Jeremy was based on a true story of a 16 year old kid who shot and killed himself in front of his classmates. The edited video that we seen on MTV did not show Jeremy shooting himself so many people thought he had killed his classmates. Since the Columbine attacks the video is rarely shown. Many modern kids who are learning about classic songs of the 90's are not aware of this great song.
- "Losing My Religion" R.E.M. This song by Alternative band R.E.M. became a hit nt only for Rock listeners but also made the Pop Charts. The song was helped in populaity by the music video which was widely acclaimed as being one of the top videos of all time.
- "Kryptonite" 3 Doors Down. The song Kryptonite was played heavily on the radio towards the end of 1999 before the band had even signed a deal. It may of came extremely late in the 1990's but is still one of the 10 best rock songs of the '90s even though it is associated more with 2000 when the album came out.
- "Under The Bridge" Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is one of the 20 best Rock songs of the '90s and received heavy airplay. Most people loved listening to this song regardless of what type of music they normally listen to.
"Loser" Beck. Singer songwriter Beck had a massive hit with this song. It received heavy radio play and everybody was singing along, at least to the chorus.
- "Scar Tissue" Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were tearing up the 90's with popular songs and this was one of there most successful songs ever. "Scar Tissue" documents the Heroin addiction that band member Anthony Kiedis had that almost killed him.
- "One Headlight" The Wallflowers. This song won two Grammy awards in 1998. The song, according to band member Jakob Dylan the song is about "the death of ideas". The video caused people to interpet the song in many different ways. This song is one of the 10 best rock songs of the '90s.
- "Californication" Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Red Hot Chili Peppers had many hit songs during the 90's and this is one of them. "Californication" is one of the 10 best 90's Rock songs because it simply sounds amazing. The band was having trouble getting the song to sound right and it almost did not make it onto the album. They got the song to sound right and placed it on the album and Califonication went on to be another hit song for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.