Car accidents occur so frequently that on avarage millions of people are either killed or injured in them in each year. These accidents occur so frequently that it would be hard to find a person that has not been affected by a car accident in some form or another. It is due to the fact that these accidents are so common that there are many common facts associated with the deaths and injuries of the people involved. Read on to learn many interesting facts about car accidents.
Interesting Facts about Car Accidents
1. About 40% of crashes that are fatal involve alcohol. If the accident takes place between midnight and 3am the percentage increases to about 75%.
2. On average 15 pedestrian school children are killed by school buses each year. These deaths tend to take place between 3pm and 4pm on weekdays.
3. Survey's suggest that male drivers cause twice as many accidents as female drivers.
4. Different types of car accidents include head on collisions, rollovers, rear enders, suicides, side impacts and more. The most deadly of these accidents are the vehicle rollovers.
5. People between the ages of 16-20 face a higher chance of being injured or killed in a car crash over any other age group.
6. Most car accidents actually occur within 5 kilometres from home. There is a common misconception that car accidents occur while travelling to a vacation destination, but this is not the case.
7. Car accidents are the most common and most deadly source of personal injury in the world.
8. Cars that are more prone to accidents are sports cars and hatchbacks. Although cars that have a bigger engine that have the greatest chance in being in a car accident.
9. Each year, approximately 300,000 teens are injured in a car crash. In the United States alone 5,000 teens die each year. On average that equals to 14 teens a day.
10. Your chances of getting into a car crash while talking on a cellphone increases by 400%.