One Direction came together in London in 2010. In a short time, the five young men skyrocketed to fame. The One Direction band includes Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson. Here are ten facts about One Direction to help you get to know more about the handsome crooners.
What's Make You Beautiful
- One Direction started on The X Factor, but they did not win. In 2010, all five members of the band auditioned by themselves as solo performers for the British television show, The X Factor. They were not chosen as solo artists, but put together as an ensemble. The guys practiced together for only two weeks before their first performance. Harry is credited with coming up with the band's name because he thought it would sound good when being introduced to audiences. The band won third runner-up in the competition, but were first in the hearts of the UK. One Direction was signed by Simon Cowell for $2 million to Syco Records.
- One Direction was the first UK band to have a song hit number one on their first album. One Direction's first single in September 2011, “What Makes You Beautiful” skyrocketed to the top of the charts making the band the first in the UK to hit number one with their first album. The single was also the most pre-ordered Sony single ever. The song debuted in the United States at number 28 in February 2012.
- The guys are all from the UK - except Niall. Niall grew up in Mullingar, Ireland. Louis is from Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Harry grew up in Holmes Chapel,Chesire. Zayn is from Bradford, West Yorkshire. Liam grew up in Wolverhampton, West Midlands.
- One Direction has released three books since 2011. One Direction: Forever Young (Our Official X Factor Story)," "One Direction: The Official Annual 2012” and "Dare to Dream: Life as One Direction.” The latest one topped The New York Times Best Seller List in May 2012.
- Each band member has a different title that goes with their name so fans can easily single them out. Harry is the “charming” member with his sweet looks and boyish charm. Niall is the “cute” boy with his kind and handsome demeanor. Zayn is the “quiet and mysterious” band member due to his shy sense when he first meets people. Liam is “sensible” and often one of the main leaders of the group. Louis is the “funny” member always making the guys laugh.
- Liam has only one working kidney. When Liam was little doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong until they realized one of his kidneys was scarred to the point of not working. He had 32 injections each day to cope with the pain as a child. He says this is the reason he strays from alcohol.
- Harry once dated a woman fifteen years his senior. As you find out more facts about One Direction, you will see the guys aren't your innocent boy band members sticking to only women their age. Harry dated English television host, Caroline Flack. The couple caused widespread controversy over the differences in their age, even though he was 18 at the time. Fans weren't too thrilled about the thought of Harry dating anyone besides them!
- The guys have their own language. Zayn confessed to Bop Magazine that the guys have conversations with code words meant to mean something else. What are these words? They'll never tell!
- They had to fight to keep the “One Direction” name. The "One Direction" band in the United States in California claimed One Direction was their name first. The US group sued for $1 million in damages and a share of the group's royalties for “stealing” their name. The legal team for the UK One Direction band said the US band was just trying to make money off of their name and there was no way they would have known about the US band. In the end, the UK guys won and the US band changed their name to “Uncharted Shores.”
- Niall performed around his town of Mullingar in Ireland before hitting it big. Liam first went on The X Factor in 2008, but Simon Cowell thought he was too young. He came back just two years later and the rest is history. Harry has sung and danced since he was a little boy. He was the lead singer for the band, White Eskimo until he joined One Direction. Zayn loved all kinds of music growing up, but his favorites were rap and R&B. Louis was involved in high school theater and loved acting in small television roles before he found his current fame.
Live While We're Young
Amazon Price: $9.97 Too low to display Buy Now
(price as of Oct 9, 2013)