For as long as most of us can remember, fashion has always influenced are lives in some way or another. In fact. fashion has been around since the beginning of time. Fashion never stays the same, it changes based on what society wants to portray and mirror at a particular time. I have put together some fun facts about fashion and the history of it.
Fun Facts about Fashion
1. Clothes that are dry cleaned last longer.
2. False eyelashes were first invented for producer D.W. Griffith who wanted to enhance one of his actresses eyes in a 1916 film. The eyelashes were made out of human hair.
3. It is within the last 200 years that children have had their own distinct clothes. They used to just wear a smaller size of adult clothing.
4. An item of clothing is considered vintage if it dates back from 1920 to 1960. Anything after this date is considered retro.
5. The skirt is the second oldest women's garment in history.
6. The use of perfume goes as ar back as the Egyptian era, where they would use perfume in religious rituals.
7. Before 1850 clothes were hand stitched by those that wore them. Clothes were not made for fashion, but rather for commodity.
8. In the 1500's fashion designers showed off their designs by making doll size clothing versions of their own fashions.
9. Egyptian women used to use henna to lighten their hair.
10. In Canada alone, each person creates about 7 kilograms of textile waste that fills our landfills.