They can be caused from viral infection, extreme stress, or bacteria, but before you go off to buy over-the-counter medicine try some natural remedies. You’ll be pleased by the results.
- Warm salt water, Multiple times throughout the day dissolve 1 tsp. of salt in an 8 ounce glass of warm water and gargle over a sink. The salt water will kill bacteria, loosen mucus, and combat the swelling.
- Baking soda, Dissolve around half a teaspoon of baking soda in warm and gargle. This is an effective natural remedy for sore throat by killing and halting the bacteria, clearing the way for healing.
- Hydrogen peroxide, One possible measure for diluting hydrogen peroxide with water can be done in quarter intervals; for example, 25%, 50%, and 75% water – depending on personal tolerance, need, etc.Credit: pixabay
Apple Cider Vinegar
It might seem counterintuitive and painful to think about drinking an acid when your throat is sore and throbbing, however, the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties are healing in times of sickness. I actually have found it to feel pleasant and effective. If you chose to do it, be cautious. Dilute with water and take it slow. Try mixing with honey.
Coating the throat better than cough drops or syrup, honey is one of nature’s sweetest medicines. Honey is a great sore throat remedy.
The coldness soothes an irritated throat and helps tamp down inflammation and the liquid that comes streaming down has a soothing effect.
Along with overall health improvement, keeping the body hydrated will make mucus thin and keep it thin. This will make it easier to expel the mucus and progress in healing.
- Chamomile Tea. The speed healing benefits within Chamomile make it a great tea to brew when you have a sore throat.
- Licorice Root Tea. Fights the core causes of a sore throat as well as attacks the phlegm and mucus produced from a sore throat.Credit: pixabay
Maintaining high levels within the blood helps boost immunity, which is important for the body in times of sickness.
For similar reasons as the apple cider vinegar, peppermint is a powerful remedy for a sore throat.
What to Avoid
They thicken mucus membrane. This will exacerbate symptoms.
Oily foods high in fat are counterproductive for healing. They are nutrient hollow and fail to supply the body with sustainable energy.
They are dehydrating, thicken mucus, and lack the nutrients you should be drinking.
They have the same effect, but to a lesser degree, as dairy.