While one might not initially consider Malaysia as a top tourist destination, this lovely country deserves a second look and the ten best places to visit in Malaysia will charm, fascinate and please nearly every traveler that takes a little time to get to know this wonderful country. Places not to be missed in Malaysia include:
1. Kota Kinabalu National Park is Malaysia’s first World Heritage site. This is the site of Malaysia’s highest mountain. The park is full of natural wonders and is very attractive to those who enjoy hiking or climbing.
2. Sipandan Island is renowned for diving and for the natural beauty of its crystal clear waters. This is a paradise for those interested in aquatic wildlife.
3. Batu caves are believed to be millions of years old and contain a series of caves and cave temples. This is a holy area for many people and there are annual pilgrimages to this area.
4. Tengku Tengah Zaharah Mosque has been called The Floating Mosque of the East because it is built on a floating platform and sits in the mouth of a naturally beautiful lagoon. It appears to be magically floating on the surface of the water. This site is truly one of the most stunning of the ten best places to visit in Malaysia.
5. Heeren and Jonker Streets are known for housing wealthier people, the architecture is interesting. There are museums, galleries, shops and restaurants, and at night on weekends Jonker Street has bazaars with artists and other vendors. Remember to look for vouchers and coupons or other internet deals for the many shops and restaurants in this area as all travelers want to save money whenever possible.
6. Petronas Twin Towers are 88 story steel and glass sky scrapers that were once the tallest buildings in the world. These buildings have even been featured in movies in the past.
7. Sarawak Cultural Center is a living museum of sorts. It features a working village that showcases the ethnic diversity of the area. There are theatrical performances as well as displays and exhibits to explore.
8. Gunung Mulu National Park is a World Heritage Site that has interesting caves and other geological formations. This is a lush tropical place where bats and swiftlets and other creatures make their homes. This is an interesting and adventurous place to visit on the list of the ten best places to visit in Malaysia.
9. Cherating Beach offers adventurous water sports, especially surfing, great night life, and the beauty of a pristine beach with clear waters. For a relaxing and informative day, visitors are encouraged to take one of the many cruise tours that can be hired in this area as they are a great way to explore the beauty of nature from the comfort of a boat. Remember this is another great opportunity to look for an internet deal or voucher in order to have some savings.
10. Khoo Kongsi is a large Chinese clan house built in 1906. It is an ornate and architecturally interesting palace of sorts. It remains intact with its outlying buildings still in place, this is a rebuild of a structure that burned in the late 1800s as it was said to have resembled the Emperor’s Palace in China far too much. This is an ornate and beautiful building that really must be seen.
One should most definitely look for savings via vouchers, coupons and internet deals to make a trip to any of the ten best places to visit in Malaysia