Columbus, Ohio is quickly becoming one of the top places to visit in the midwest region of the country. Whether you find yourself here for business or leisure, use this list to ensure your trip is a fun filled excursion with many new activities and experiences.
1. Visit The Columbus Zoo & Aquarium – ranked highly amongst its competition, this is one of the highlights in Columbus. As the pride and joy of Jack Hanna, the Columbus Zoo has a large variety of animals for your entertainment. The best part is that the aquarium is actually located inside the zoo, so you will only need one ticket to experience both attractions.
2. Cool off at Zoombeezi Bay – Located directly across from the zoo, this water park is a fun place to spend a day with or without the kids. From the water slides to the wave pool there are more than enough ways to cool down on summer days at Zoombeezi Bay. Once you’ve had enough of the water, enjoy the sun bathing area before playing all the carnival style games located throughout the park.
3. Visit The Columbus Museum of Art – with events happening regularly, exhibits frequently changing and free admissions on Sundays, this is a perfect activity. Centrally located in the city it will not be hard to venture to the museum regardless of your location.
4. Stroll through The Short North – this area, located on High Street next to downtown Columbus, is a hip and always-current neighborhood filled with trendy boutiques and popular restaurants. If you happen to be visiting during the first weekend of the month, you’re in for a real treat. On the first Saturday of every month all of the art galleries in The Short North open their doors to the public for free in what is referred to as a ‘gallery hop’ to introduce new and aspiring artists to the community.
5. Try Your Luck at The Hollywood Casino – located on the city’s west side, the casino is a favorite of locals and visitors alike. With regular concerts, slot machines as far as the eyes can see and several restaurants it serves as the perfect host for a fun filled evening.
6. Shop until you Drop at Easton Towne Center – this newly expanded shopping mall offers the best indoor and outdoor shopping experience in the city. With high end options like Tiffany & Co. as well as Louis Vuitton and Burberry, this mall is a favorite for high spending fashionistas. For those not looking to break the bank Easton offers H&M, Forever 21 as well as Macy’s, Steve Madden and Apple to help you add to your luggage. There is also a dine-in movie theatre, an amusement arcade and a plethora of restaurants to enjoy at Easton Towne Center.
7. Visit The Franklin Park Conservatory – created in 1895 this local treasure is listed on the Register of Historic Places. The Franklin Park conservatory is a botanical garden and conservatory on the east side of Columbus, Ohio. For a small fee you can view the entire property or you can enjoy the beautiful park surrounding the conservatory for free.
8. Have an Educational Fun Filled Day at COSI – boasting the title of #1 Science Center in the Country COSI, short for Center of Science and Industry, is one of the favorite day trips for young and old alike. With many exhibits including Energy Explorers, Space and Progress coupled with live shows and a giant screen theatre, COSI takes a fun, innovative approach to teaching science.
9. Catch a Show at The Ohio Theatre – situated in the heart of Downtown Columbus, known as the “Official Theatre of the State of Ohio”, this theatre hosts a variety of entertainment from comedy shows and plays to musical performances. Built in 1928 The Ohio Theatre is historic, retaining regal architecture and dramatic features definitely worth experiencing.
10. Take a Tour of The Ohio State University – as the pride and joy of Columbus, Ohio you will quickly learn that everyone in the city is a Buckeye fan. Without a professional basketball or football team, collegiate sports are even more important to Columbus residents. Thankfully, the highly accredited university has an open campus, welcoming visitors and residents alike to tour the beautiful and historic campus.
The next time you find yourself in Columbus, the budding star of the midwest, be sure to check out these ten activities that are unique to the city. Help yourself out and bring the Insider's Guide listed below along for your trip to give you even more ideas.
Amazon Price: $18.95 $9.46 Buy Now
(price as of Jan 31, 2014)