Do you complain about bad memory? Do you forget some appointments? Certain special dates for you, your family, or friends? Do you have to go to the supermarket with a list or you go back home without buying what you really wanted?
We all forget things from time to time, but when this happens regularly or frequently, then we have to admit there is a problem that needs to be taken care of.
First we should understand what is a memory? Simply put, memory is the mental activity of recalling information that you have learned or experienced.
There is Short Term Memory, and Long Term Memory. In the short term memory your mind stores the information for seconds or minutes, like the time it takes you to read a phone number and dial it. In the long term memory is about the information that you meant to know it and remember it, because it has a meaning or usefulness to you, as when you study for your exams or you want to keep important information in your memory.
The are many reasons for memory loss, one unavoidable reason is age, because as we age the cells of every part of our bodies become less able to renew itself, or at least not like when we are young.
But since we all want to improve the quality of our lives, memory is a main factor in that process, and here are some helpful tips on things you need to take care of to improve your memory:
1. Sleep: You have probably heard that sleep and memory are related. Studies have shown that your brain needs sleep in order to recharge itself, so you can not really imagine how poor sleep can hurt your memory. So to strengthen your memory, it is vital to get enough quality sleep each night.
Poor sleep can hurt you in two ways, one is you lose your concentration ability, the other is you keep forgetting things (long term memory).
So, try to go to sleep at the same time every night, prepare your sleeping area in a way that insures maximum comfort and no disturbances, and if taking naps makes a difference to you, just do it when you can.
2. Food: The right nutrients are as important to the memory and mind as they are important to the body. Some of the good foods for memory and brain in general are salmon and albacore tuna, canola oil, soybeans, walnuts, wheat germ, eggs, and flaxseed oil, which all contain Omega 3 fatty acids. Other really beneficial foods are Greens like green tea and green vegetables.
3. Vitamins & Minerals: Some very important vitamins for the memory are the antioxidants (A,C,E), vitamin B complex, calcium (especially for women), and Fish oil (Omega 3 fatty acids). If you have a problem with your memory, it could help to take a multivitamin and minerals tablet daily.
4. Water: Hydrate your body, hydrate your brain, because if a little bit of dehydration can affect your memory very badly.
5. Stress: Stress hormones have many harmful health effects on the brain function. Of course we can not avoid stress in our daily life, but Chronic stress impairs memory in the young and adult alike. We should reduce it as much as we can or at least try our best to control it.
6. Learning New Skills: Getting new information to your brain helps to keep your memory active, because you constantly work on remembering what you learn, and it also gives you confidence to try harder. It is a fact that mental stimulation improves brain function and protects against cognitive decline, as does physical exercise.
7. Keep active socially: It is important to be involved in all kinds of social activities and social interaction with other people to stimulate memory.
8. Brain exercises: There are many kinds of brain exercises and you can choose what suites you better. There is the power of imagination, associating things together, visualization, repetition, and also all kinds of mind games.
9. Be Organized: Being unorganized takes a lot of your time, effort, and concentration, so you should organize your time, your home, and everything in your life, because organizing your life will improve your memory because there will be fewer items forgotten or mislaid, fewer appointments missed, and less clutter and other distractions in your daily life.
10. Motivation and Persistence: How badly do you want to have a good memory that can enable you to remember everything and in the right time? If you try and fail, you can not give up, just try another way, or another time.
If you have a strong motive, you've got to be persistent, because persistence is the key to success.
As you see, we can all do a lot to improve our memories and get over that awful feeling when we forget what we should or want to remember.