Losing weight takes patience, perseverance and penance – the 3 Ps. Yet, it all boils down to a healthy balanced diet and regular and disciplined exercise that allows people to achieve their weight loss goals. There really is no easier, faster way to attain weight loss goals. If there are promises of such ways to lose weight, such options are probably not safe or healthy.
Do not Attempt Quick Weight Loss
Weight loss surgery, making drastic lifestyle changes or taking weight loss drugs allow some people to attain quick weight loss. However, there is a price to pay. Most people who lose weight too quickly are inevitably unable to maintain the weight loss that has been achieved too quickly, resulting in them regaining the weight in the most depressive manner.
Top 10 Ways to Lose Weight Safely
- Be hydrated. Dump the soft drinks and high sugar content beverages. Replace them with lots of water and fresh fruit juices. Ideally, carry a water bottle with a dash of fresh lemon. Experts recommend that people who wish to lose weight should drink at least 10 – 12 glasses of water every day to keep their bodies hydrated and shed some calories.
- Start a light exercise plan. Take it slow. Start off with an exercise plan and gradually increase the resistance levels and durations. The key to an effective weight loss program is to be disciplined about it.
- Develop alternatives to traditional exercise. Use the stairs, park further away when driving or better still, walk to as many distances as possible.
- Join a gym. Being in a gym environment is a motivating factor in many weight loss programs.
- Hire a fitness trainer. Since the key is discipline and if money is not an issue, a personal fitness trainer can aid tremendously in the disciplined exercise regime.
- Cut out the red meat such as beef, pork and mutton. Instead, eat lean meats such as boneless chicken and fish.
- Avoid processed food and eat whole grains instead, such as wholemeal bread, pasta and wholemeal rice.
- Avoid the fast food. Fast food is unhealthy and piles on the calories. Eat at the risk of a failed weight loss campaign.
- Just because the label says non-fat or zero sugar doesn't really mean it's good for the body. Check the labels, read in between the lines for the artificial ingredients such as aspartame.
- Lay off the junk food like chips, chocolates and ice-cream. Simple enough. Keep healthy alternatives such as yoghurt, fruits and fresh juices handy to avoid temptation.
Problems with Weight Loss
A common complaint from people who do indeed lose a lot of weight is that their skin doesn't tighten up after the weight loss. The aftermath is unsightly loose and hanging skin. The loose skin caused by the sudden weight loss can affect self esteem, self confidence about the body and relationships with others.
Top 5 Ways to Tighten Loose Skin after Extreme Weight Loss
- Adhere to a strict exercise plan to exercise regularly
- Concentrate on strength training exercises
- Eat lean meat and obtain proteins with wholemeal alternatives
- Try over-the-counter creams to tighten the loose skin
- Consider surgical options to remove hanging skin