With this tough economy, millions of educated, hard-working people are unemployed or underemployed. Here's 10 ways to stay positive until you find a job.
1. Remember you are not alone. Even though you may see friends on Facebook talking about their jobs, there are countless others just like you who don't have a job and are feeling bad about themselves.
2. Go outside and be active everyday. Whether for a run, or going to the gym or just going for a walk, being active will make you feel more positive. If you just sit inside all day and act miserable, you will be miserable.
3. Network. I know people say it all the time but it's true. Look up older alumni from your school and reach out to them, don't be afraid to let people know you are looking for a job.
4. Have a list of tasks to do each day. Even if they are small - "get a haircut" or "run to Staples" it will make you feel productive being able to cross things off your list.
5. Try a new hobby. You have so much free time, why not explore something you've always wanted to try? Maybe playing the guitar or art, just something exciting to try!
6. Do something that scares you. Maybe you've been meaning to reach out to someone about finding a job but are nervous about they're reaction, do it anyways. Sometimes the best things come from when we were so nervous we almost didn't do them.
7. Change out of sweatpants! Wearing sweats or pjs will make you feel less productive and sluggish. If you wear normal clothes you will feel more ready to do the things you need to do that day.
8. Keep applying. Even when you feel like your resumes are just being sent off to some dark hole, keep applying. It only takes one application to find that one special job. So who knows, maybe this time, they will reply.
9. Talk to your friends and family about your job search. Sometimes friends or family joke with you saying "What do you do all day?" or "You're so lucky you don't have to go to work today." It's ok to gently let them know that that is hurtful and you would LOVE to be going to work today and not sitting on your bum at home.
10. Don't get trapped into sitting around and watching reality tv all day. Trust me, I've done it. It will only make you feel worse about yourself. Plus, even though you are unemployed, your time is still valuable, don't waste it on stupid things like reality tv.