There's already a million and one different ways to lose weight. Everything from P90x to Jenny Craig to Weight Watchers can tell you or show you how to slim down and sculpt that perfectly chiseled beach bod. But what if you're not looking for a complete overhaul? What if you just grabbed a few pounds over the holiday and need some quick tips to let them go before swimsuit season?
That's what happened for me. I came back from graduating college and somewhere along the way had packed on an extra 35 pounds! What did I do? Well, instead of freaking out or torturing myself with the latest and greatest weight loss regiment or do-it-til-you-die diet, I used the following simple hacks to shed 20 of those unwanted pounds in three months.
10 Hacks to Lose Weight Quickly
1. Trade the soft drinks for unsweetened tea, coffee, water, or juice. This simple switch will cut out countless calories from your diet.
2. Switch your milk. Drinking whole milk? Switch to 2%. Already drinking 2%, try skim. There's hardly a difference in taste, but a lot less fat.
3. Carry a refillable water container. By getting in the habit of carrying this container everywhere you go, you will naturally start to drink more and more water. By drinking more water, you'll be hungry less often.
CamelBak eddy Stainless .7L LimeAmazon Price: $24.00
Buy Now(price as of Mar 14, 2013)
4. Skip the candy. If you've got a sweet tooth, try to fend it off with a piece of fruit instead. You know they old cliche, "No one ever got fat off an apple!"
5. Jog in small spurts. It's hard to motivate yourself to jog, so instead of setting a seemingly uphill struggle to "treadmill for a hour" why don't you jog in short, sharp bursts? Jog to the mailbox, then back into the house. Jog from your car into the grocery store. It may not seem like much, but the important thing is that it gets you moving. And, remember, it's all about incremental change.
6. Always take the stairs. This small change will have you shaving off extra weight in no time, especially if you work on the 37th floor! (Just kidding, if you work that high up get off a few floors early and walk up the rest of the way. Remember, don't overdo it).
7. Try standing at your desk.
is coming in that sitting at your desk 8 hours a day is one of the unhealthiest things you can do. So, to help ward off a sedentary lifestyle, try alternating between sitting and standing.
8. Opt for fiber. Fiber takes longer for the body to digest than other foods, so eat meals that are chockfull of fiber and stay full longer. Oatmeal is a great choice if you need a quick, simple breakfast.
9. Do 5 push-ups and crunches. This shouldn't be too hard for those of you just trying to lose a few extra pounds. Remember, the key here is not the amount you do, but that you get into the habit of moving and being more active. If you can't do five, start with three; can't do three? Give me one.
10. Get in bed on time, and sleep the full eight.
I saved this one for last because it's so crucial. Not just for losing weight, but for mental clarity and overall functionality. As mentioned in this Shape article
, there is a direct link between weight gain and lack of sleep, so know that if you skimp on sleep, you're likely to be hungrier throughout the day.
You don't have to try all of these hacks to lose those last few unwanted pounds, but I do urge you to try some of them and see if they don't make a difference.
Bonus Hack # 11
You will motivate yourself to stick with any exercise you're doing if you track your results. Whether you use a pencil and paper, a pedometer, FitBit, or Nike +, it's a good idea to keep setting progress goals and trying to beat them.
Good luck! Summer's just around the corner, so get started! And let me know if you have any success with the strategies by posting your response in the comment section.
Nike+ SportBand (Black/Blue Glow)Amazon Price: $59.00
Buy Now(price as of Mar 14, 2013)