Unfortunately as the food prices are going up or as the income of some people is low a lot of people are turning to unhealthy cheap packaged food. This article will try to change your mind by showing you healthy foods which are also extremely cheap, usually below one dollar, so please stay away from those packaged poisons and go for these very cheap but healthy foods.
(in no particular order)
- Oatmeal – for a dollar or two you can buy yourself breakfast for an entire week which is full of complex carbohydrates and high quantity of fiber
- Eggs – probably the most resourceful food available since you can cook it in so many ways and with so many other foods. A dollar would buy you a couple of days supply at the least
- Any leafy greens – they are sold in bunches or packs and are a great source of fiber, vitamins. You can munch of them as snacks or put them in salads or cook with your dinner
- Potatoes – not fried in oil, but natural potatoes are a great healthy food. Cook it with the skin. Boiling is easy – in the oven is tastier. A great source of vitamin C and potassium. And did I mention potatoes are extremely cheap!
- Apples – “an apple a day will keep the doctor away” as the saying goes. You can pre-cut them and put in little plastic bags if comfort is the issue.
- Nuts – but specifically walnuts in a shell (due to price) are a fantastic source of good-for-you fats, vitamins and proteins. Just be careful, they are very caloric because they are very energy dense so do not eat too much of them. A small amount (a handful) will give you all the benefits you need.
- Bananas – probably the top source of potassium, a fantastic quick energy weapon for after your sports or gym and extremely cheap – a dollar would get you at least 5-6 bananas.
- Vegetables in general – tend to be extremely cheap and very good for you. Nobody has ever gained fat from eating vegetables! An entire cabbage for example is less than a dollar. But the king of vegetables is probably broccoli as it has a lot of health benefits.
- An entire raw chicken – maybe in the region of 3 dollars, has 4 large pieces of meat (2 legs, 2 breasts), which is 4 dinners – that’s less than a dollar for a dinner.
- Melon and watermelon – a few dollars worth, but a huge amount of super tasty and healthy food for you to eat
And there is a lot more – just take some time looking in your local supermarket on things which are not in packages and not in the refrigerated area.