1. Honey bees tend to feed on honey during the winter time which they have collected during the warmer summer months and they tend to form a very tight cluster in their hive to keep the queen bee and themselves as warm as they can during this period.
2. The way honey bees communicate with each other is through dancing.
3. People are often afraid of being stung by a bee, but did you know that 1100 honey bee stings are required to kill a person?
4. You need not be afraid of all bees and not all of them sting you. In fact, it is only worker bees that actually sting and they famously only do this once and if they feel threatened. This is because if they sting you they will die. Queen bees also have a stinger which they can use if the hive is attacked as that is where they are situated for a lot of the time.
5. Worker bees tend to be female and will live for about six weeks and will work continuously for the hive.
6. It is said that a queen bee can have a life span of up to five years and will be the only bee that lays eggs. The queen is often the busiest in the summer months when lays up to 2500 eggs each and every day.
7. So each honey bee can find its own colony, each honey bee colony will have its own unique odour so that members of that colony can find their way back to it.
8. Indeed a colony will consist of between 20000 to 60000 honeybees and a queen bee.
9. Male honey bees are called drones and tend to be larger than the worker bees. They do not have a stinger and do not tend to work at all, in fact all they do is mate.
10. The only bees that do not sting predominately are carpenter bees who are called that by their want to make nests in timber or wood. They bore holes and lay their nests in them for their young and you will be able to find a carpenter bee infestation by the fact that there will be many small holes quite close together. This makes carpenter bee extermination quite simple when you know this.
11. The brain of a bee tends to be oval and will be the size of a sesame seed.
12. It is said that it takes once ounce of honey to be able to fuel a bee’s flight around the world.