20 Facts about Wolf Spiders
Wolf Spiders, or the Lycosa godeffroyi are the most widespread type of spider that many of us see most often. The wolf spider moves very fast and can
be found living in the ground instead of on a web. These types of spiders can be found in mountains or more likely in your lawn or garden. I have gathered
some of the most interesting facts about these spiders that will provide you with a better understanding of them the next time you happen to run into them.
2. They are a greyish-brown color and have a bar pattern on their stomach.
3. The male species of the wolf spider are darker than the female and has more distinct markings.
4. Garden wolf spiders have eight eyes. They have two large eyes that look forward, two smaller eyes that look up and four small eyes that look down.
5. Female wolf spiders carry their egg sacs on their stomachs and periodically provide the egg sacs with sunlight.
6. Females can carry over a hundred eggs at a time.
7. When a wolf spiders eggs hatch the spiderlings hold on to the hairs on their stomach for about a week before they disperse.
8. Wolf spiders cannot survive long indoors since they are unable to breed.
9. If you provoke a Wolf spiders they will bite. These bites are mild but may can cause swelling, itchiness, headaches and nausea.
10. Wolf spiders move very fast and therefor make great predators.
11. Wolf spiders do not make webs.
12. The hunting wasp is the greatest enemy of the wolf spider.
13. Wolf spiders have four pairs of legs.
14. The male wolf spider has a pair of leg like palps that are close to their mouth and are are used for sperm storage.
15. Wolf spiders are able to see at night due to a disk that is located behind their eyes.
16. Wolf spiders are more active during the night then they are in the daytime.
17. Wolf spiders can live for many years.
18. They shed their skin many times before they grow into an adult wolf spider.
19. Wolf spiders eat many types of insects including flies, crickets and cockroaches.
20. Some species of wolf spiders are able to walk on water using their feet and hairs on their body.