25 Inexpensive Gift Ideas for Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day is a yearly tradition, rich with history, that celebrates love and relationships. Celebrated on February 14th, it is a holiday that is celebrated all over the world in many different ways. One of the most popular and common ways to celebrate Valentine's Day is through the act of gift giving. Gifts can be a way to show our loved ones that we care and that we think about them. If we are not careful, gifts can quickly become expensive. Valentine's Day should be about romance, and not how money is spent. Here is a list of 25 Valentine's Day gift ideas that will not break the bank.
25 Under $25
1. Photo Album - Purchase a photo album and fill it with photos of you and your loved one. Add in movie ticket stubs, receipts, articles, or anything else that add to personal feel of experiences you have shared with your loved one. Make the photo album almost like a scrapbook and leave room at the end to leave space for future memories.
2. Personalized Cupcakes or Cake Pops - A heart shaped box of chocolates seems so cliché these days, why not go for cupcakes or cake pops. Cupcake and Cake Pop shops are popping up all over the place, and many places will personalize or decorate the cupcakes for a small fee.
3. Create a Mix or Playlist - The days of mix 'tapes' are long gone, but the idea behind them is still there. CD mixes are still somewhat popular, but an online music playlist, such as an itunes playlist is your best bet. Create a playlist of songs that remind you of your loved one.
4. Turn your home into a "Day Spa" - Decorate your bathroom/bedroom area with rose petals, tons of candles, and make sure there is relaxing music in the background. Make sure you have massage oil handy and other spa type ingredients such as facial masks and body scrubs. A nice touch is having towels fresh from the dryer ready.
5. Write a Poem for your Valentine - If you are a naturally talented writer, go for it. If not, you are still in luck. There are many websites out there that are 'poem generators' where you can add your own personalization and make a poem that is just as unique as your loved one. Check out Festisite.com for a love poem generator.
6. Flowers - Yes, flowers can be cliché if you choose the standard dozen red roses and flowers can be pricey if you are not careful. Supermarket Florists, such as Whole Foods have great floral selections, and many different options are available. Ask the florist to help you create your own bouquet, taking non traditional flowers and mixing them with more traditional ones. The key is to make something as beautiful and unique as your loved one.
7. Write a Love Letter - Similar to writing a poem, a love letter is a great way to express how you feel about the person you love. Buy special paper, that maybe has a vintage look to it, and handwrite the letter. Make sure it is a least two pages. Write about how much this person means to you and your hopes and dreams for you and this person.
8. Piggy Bank - Purchase a piggy bank or make one by decorating a box with photos, ribbon, and other craft type items. Designate the piggy bank as a vacation fund for the two of you, or any other major event that would require saving money for.
9. Potted Plant - Pick out a plant that you two can plant together and can watch it bloom along with your relationship.
10. Romantic DVD - Purchase a romantic movie such as The Notebook, Gone With the Wind, Say Anything, etc and plan to watch it with your loved one on valentine's day by candlelight and all cuddled up.
11. Books on Romance/Valentine's Day - Find a book that talks about the historical significance of Valentine's Day, or a book that includes love letters from historical figures such as Love Letters of Great Men and Women - From the Eighteenth Century to the Present Day
12. Bottle of Wine - Some wineries make special edition wine bottles just for valentines day, some websites even do personalized labels. You can also purchase an inexpensive wine and print out your own personalized label at home. Pick a wine that pairs well with chocolate, such as a Cabernet Sauvignon and host your own wine tasting at your home.
13. Create a "Love Coupon" Book - Create a booklet of coupons or "I O U"'s of at least 10. Some ideas for individual coupons are: 'Good for one massage' , 'Good for one homemade breakfast in bed', 'Good for one sensual evening together', etc.
14. Lingerie/Silk Boxers - Whether your gift is for a male or female, you can find inexpensive lingerie or silk boxers at discount stores such as TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, or even places such as Target or Wal-Mart.
15. Greeting Card - This may seem like an obvious idea, but these days there are so many choices in greeting cards. Some cards even let you record your own message, which makes it personal. You can record a poem, or recite a quote, or even sing a song.
16. Dance Class Lessons - A gift certificate can be purchased for dance lessons from local places such as community centers or a local YMCA. Often these places offer inexpensive prices, and you only have to purchase one class as opposed to committing to weeks of lessons which can be costly.
17. Donate to a Charity in your loved one's Name. Pick a charity that your loved one appreciates and respects and donate a small amount in their name.
18. Name a Star after your loved one - How many people can say they have a star named after them? This is a great and unique gift that can really make someone feel special. Many websites offer Star Naming services such as Starnamer.net that start their pricing as low as $14.95
19. Romantic Adult Games - Mall stores such as Spencer's Gifts have entire adult sections dedicated to various props, toys, and games. Some have actual board games such as, 'Kiss and Tell' and 'Dirty Minds'. Plan to play the game together and make a night out of it.
20. Couples Jewelry - Very similar to 'friendship necklaces', this is a type of jewelry that is meant for two people. Different styles include the classic heart that is broken into two pieces, a key and lock, or puzzle pieces that fit together. Mall stores like Claire's or the Icing have items like this at extremely low prices.
21. Stuffed Animal - Although cliché, this is a classic. Stay away from the standard bear holding the heart, and try to find something a little more unique. Try to find one on a site like Etsy.Com or FredFlare.Com
22. Promise Ring - A promise ring can be given to either a man or a woman these days. Thrift stores are a great place to look along with flea markets and antique shoes. A promise ring doesn't have to be the stereotypical hands holding with a heart, it can really be anything that symbolizes your love and commitment for one another. Discount clothing stores such as TJ Maxx and Marshalls often have inexpensive jewelry, and don't forget to check out mall stores like Claire's or The Icing. Don't discredit them just because they mainly market towards a young audience, you never know what you are going to find unless you look.
23. Make a Gift Basket - Go to your local dollar store, and purchase anything heart shaped, fake flowers, candles, bubble bath, and of course chocolates. Maybe even purchase a photo frame from the dollar store and put a photo of the two of you and highlight this in your gift basket. Fill small boxes with little notes that say 'i love you' or other romantic expressions. You can even incorporate other gift ideas mentioned in this article to add to your basket.
24. Create a Webpage - Domain's are super inexpensive these days and can be easily attained and especially with easy point and click sites like WordPress anyone can create a webpage these days. Choose a domain like "johnandjane.com", something that showcases your individual names. Make the page all about your relationship with one another and include photos.
25. Custom Design a T-Shirt - Custom design a t-shirt on a site like zazzle.com with sayings like "I love joe" or "Jane and John Forever" .
Valentine's Day can be quite exhausting when trying to come up with a gift without breaking the bank. Don't forget that Valentine's Day is all about celebrating the ones you love and showing them how you truly feel and not how much money you should spend on them. Romance doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be meaningful and loving.