There are several ways to preserve chili peppers, the most common one is drying.
Probably the simplest way to preserve chili peppers is to freeze them. The main problem with freezing is that the chili peppers structure changes and becomes very soft and wet. Depending on use the structure changes might not necessarily affect so much.
Drying is the most common way to preserve chili peppers and also a very easy way. There are
few ways to do this, but my favorite is to hang my chili peppers with a strong thread and just let them sit there for few weeks. You can also dry your chili peppers in oven overnight, it’s easy, but again takes time.
Another great way is to make oil. Making oil is really easy too and can really spice up some of your foods. You have to be careful to what you put this stuff, it really can ruin things if used in a wrong way.
- Check that your chili peppers are in top condition.
- Wash them in warm water.
- Cut them length-wise, remove stems. (take the seeds, so you can plant your very own chili pepper bush.)
- Take a zip-lock bag.
- Throw in prepared chili peppers and put it into a freezer.
There are few different ways to dry your chili peppers. You can use these “indoors” methods outside too, just make sure to protect your chili peppers from insects and rains.
Indoors by hanging
You can use this method even for whole chili peppers, but it takes more time. This method usually takes about few weeks.
- Take strong thread and tie it to your chili peppers.
- Hang it to a place that is well ventilated, warm and dry.
Indoors with a baking tray
- Take your prepared chili peppers and distribute those evenly to a baking tray.
- Take the baking tray and put it to a warm place, for example to a windowsill.
- Evenly distribute your prepared chili peppers to a baking tray.
- Heat your oven to 110-140º Fahrenheit (45-60º Celsius). And put the tray in
- Now you just wait, this takes several hours, or just let them sit there for overnight.
Don’t make huge quantities at a time since you have only about a month to use your oil.
- Get good quality olive oil.
- Throw in prepared and sliced chili peppers and possibly other ingredients.
- Cook the whole thing on a low heat, when finished let it cool.
- Strain ingredients and bottle your oil.