Relationships are not easy, but they are one of the most rewarding circumstances two people can have and share. There are ups and downs, good times and bad, brilliantly fun times, and times when it is just downright boring. So forget the fairy tales that have been seen in novels; if you want to witness something that is truly moving, watch a couple who has been together for 20, 30, or even 40 and 50 years. It is with these folks that the keys to a long, healthy relationship can be found; and that is how the list was compiled.
- Tell your partner you love them- This may seem simple and unimportant, but be assured, it is absolutely vital for a loving relationship. Be sure to let your partner know that they are loved. Tell them "I love you" upon waking in the morning, before leaving home, when getting home from work, and at random. If you have just had a fight and are angry at one another, still be sure to say it. Make your partner feel it, too. For example, if they are sitting there watching TV, look at them. When they inquire as to what you are ogling at, tell know how much you love them. Talk about seeing a smile that can light up a room.
- Pursue each other's goals- While it is true that a partner can appreciate when their other half has ambition and motivation, they still have more interest in their own goals. This is why it is important to help each other reach individual achievements. Even if your partner is trying to get their PhD in physics, be there for emotional support. Brew a fresh pot of coffee when they have a long night ahead of them, or go grab them their favorite take-out dish. Ask if there is anything you can do to help, and let them know that you are willing to go out of your way to do whatever it takes.
- Do not stop chasing one another- Now, most people have the common sense to know that women usually appreciate being courted and pursued in a romantic relationship. So, gentleman, keep that in your mind and never forget it. Here is the catch: men also like to feel wanted and to be pursued. Please, chase one another. For one, it is actually pretty fun and feels like an accomplishment each and every time. Secondly, and more importantly, it shows your partner that you do love them, want them, and are forever interested in keeping them
- Take up some of each other's hobbies- Make their hobbies yours, even if you cannot stand doing so. The key word here is some, and why this is so will be clarified in the next section. Hobbies are the things done on one's spare time, so obviously they bring the individual a certain joy and peace of mind. When your partner shows interest in your hobbies and even partakes in some of them, that is an added bonus and another reason to appreciate them. It also again shows that your partner has interest in you and the things you do.
- Give each other space- This one is a bit tricky. It is crucial for you and your partner to have breathing room and personal time. How much room and time varies from person to person and couple to couple. The couple must sit down and have a discussion. That's right, it has to be put in the open. Let your partner know why you need personal space, how much you need, and why you need it. Ask your partner to tell you the same. Be open and honest and find a middle ground if a middle ground has to be found. And, as always, add an "I love you" to the end of this discussion.
No one said relationships are easy; they take a lot of time, sacrifice, and effort. But this is time, sacrifice, and effort that makes each person's life more fulfilling and more enjoyable. There is nothing as satisfying as having a decades-long bond with the person you love more than anything in the world. Heed this advice and it is all but guaranteed that your relationship will be a more loving, exciting, and successful one.