We all have those days. There isn't enough work to do, or maybe we are just working hard and it gets done quicker. Whatever the reason, sometimes we get bored at work. Here is a list of 10 productive things to do when you are bored at work.
- Network. Meeting other people can be a great thing to do when bored. First, it passes the time. Second, you can learn about other people. And finally (and most importantly), people can learn about you. The more people know about you and your skills, the more opportunities may present themselves in the future. Get out there and meet people!
- Help others. Sometimes when you are slow, others have a pretty heavy workload. See if they need some help. This builds your network, helps out others, and may even teach you a new skill.
- Work (or rework) your budget. Most people do not keep track of their finances. If you are one of those people, start a list of all your income and expenses. See if you can save money by seeing where you can cut back spending. If you already have a budget, take a look at it and see if it needs to be reworked for any recent or upcoming changes in your life.
- Plan your evening. No one wants to leave the job just to go home and work. But life demands it from time to time. Make a list of everything you need to do this evening. Then go down this list and see if you can combine any of these things to save some time. The more you plan, the quicker things can get done. The quicker they get done, the more time you get to pursue your passions.
- Plan your family's meals. "What do you want for dinner?" "I don't know. What do you want?" Most of us have had tons of conversations like this. By planning out your meals, you can avoid this awkward situation. It also reduces the time you spend at the grocery store. Just make sure your family agrees with your meal choices.
- Plan your next big project. We all have personal projects we want to be working on. Take this time to plan them out. What supplies do you still need? What steps will you take? Doing this now can give you more time to work on your project later.
- Brainstorm. Ideas are golden! Keep a small notebook on you at all times. Book ideas, blog posts, art projects, home improvements, business plans…anything! Write them down! You never know when you may come up with the next great idea!
- Doodle. So many people wish they could draw, but very few take the time to learn. Doodling or practicing drawing can be a great way to pass a few minutes while building artistic skill at the same time. Practice, practice, practice!
- Blog. A lot of people wish they updated their blog more often. This can be a great chance to get new post (or at least part of one). If you don't have a blog started, set one up for free with Blogger or Wordpress.
- Write for InfoBarrel. Share your knowledge with the world and get paid for it! Open Notepad, TextEdit, Word, or any other text editor and get writing.
So there you have 10 productive things you can do while at work to pass the time. What are you waiting for? Get started on one of them now!