My Favorite Piece of Technology
I have been using e readers since I got the first Amazon Kindle for a birthday present from my Mom, and since then they have become my favorite new technology. I know it might sound a bit strange that in the spectacular world of modern technology, something as simple as an electronic book could be at the top of my list but if you read on, I think you might begin to come around to my point of view. Here is a list of five reasons ebook readers are my favorite technology
- Simplicity: The fact that e-book readers are only meant for one task, reading, is a blessing in disguise in the modern world. I don’t know how it’s possible for people to read on an Ipad or something equivalent; there are too many distractions. It is too easy to check your email, think “gee I wonder what’s going on with so and so on Facebook” or start up on Reddit. While there is some internet capability built into e readers, or at least there is on the Kindle for sure, it not easy to use and that is a good thing.
- The lighting: I’m talking specifically about the Kindle Paperwhite here, because it’s the one I own, but there’s also the Barnes & Noble GlowLight and the Kobo Glo. I work in front of computers all day, and there is nothing I would like less than to read at night in front of another backlit computer screen; the light on the e-readers comes in from the sides and is very easy on the eyes. I read at night time and like falling asleep with a book. I always fell asleep with the light on, would need to wake up and shut off the light, and then go back to sleep. The light on the e reader turns off automatically making it a lot easier for me to fall asleep.
- Portability: I spend over half my life traveling for work, sometimes for months on end and in very remote locations. I don’t always have access to a library or book store, and often have a weight limit for baggage etc. With an ebook reader I can store thousands of books in a device that only weighs 7.2 Oz and never have to worry about running out of material. There is no worse feeling than when you are on an international flight and you see the end of your book nearing and you still have a couple hours of flight time left. This will never happen to me again.
- Free books: There are thousands of free books available all over the internet. The Amazon store has a large list of free classic books, and a simple google search of free e books will reveal a vast amount of free material; more free stuff than a person could read in a lifetime.
- The Battery life: the battery life of the kindle reader is an absolutely great feature. As I mentioned earlier in the article, I travel a great deal of the time traveling, and the fact that the battery life of my Kindle is at least three weeks, with about an hour a day’s use with the light on is an unbelievably good feature. I don’t ever have to worry about running out of juice on a flight light I do with every other gadget I own.