Going to the beach or a resort to swim is a great idea to release all the stress you get from work. According to studies, swimming is good to regulate breathing, and seawater helps clean the pores of the skin. However, if you are going to go swimming, you have to be aware that there are also risks of drowning. If someone you know drowns at sea or in a swimming pool, here are five important things that his surviving relatives should do:
- Check if the resort owner observed all safety measures to prevent drowning accidents â Because the victim was inside the resort, its owner has the responsibility to keep him safe. Some of the ways that an owner can do this is to install barriers to beaches, avoid wet pavements to prevent slip and fall accidents, and enforce anti-alcohol rules within the resort's premises.
- Determine if there are enough lifeguards to handle drowning accidents â Lifeguards are very important in any resort to save drowning visitors. If the area is too wide and there is only one lifesaver, the drowning victim would be in big trouble.
- If the resort owner failed to provide the necessary safety measures and someone drowned, file a wrongful death complaint against him â If wrongful death results from the owner's negligence, the bereaved family may submit a complaint against him.
- Gather enough evidence to prove the owner's fault â Proving fault is a little difficult if the complaining party is not familiar with legal proceedings. In these situations, getting professional help is highly advisable.
- Seek legal assistance from a personal injury or wrongful death attorney â Hiring a wrongful death attorney is a great idea to reduce the burden of handling the case. Using his skills, he may be able to collect enough evidence to be used in court.
Obtaining compensation in a wrongful death complaint would be relatively difficult depending on the liable party. Big companies and corporations often contest their liability, making it difficult for complainants and attorneys to achieve compensation. The claimant should just remain patient and determined to make the resort owner pay for his losses.
In cities like Los Angeles where drowning accidents are common, you can always seek help from an attorney. There are numerous personal injury attorneys in Los Angeles, and all you have to do is to choose the best lawyer for you. If you follow the steps given above, you would be able to obtain compensation in no time.
This article is not meant to be interpreted as a legal advice. To know the available legal options regarding your case, consult a Personal Injury Lawyer for more information.