Easter is a special time of year where families can get together and enjoy the holiday spirit, whether it's hiding Easter eggs for small children to find, or watching The Ten Commandments. Here are some ideas to make this time more memorable:
- For religious families, Easter Sunday is the perfect day to discuss why the world celebrates Easter. Depending on your kids’ ages, you may want to tell the story differently including visual aids and props where appropriate. Help your children understand that Easter isn’t just about the Easter bunny, candy and egg hunts, but that there is a deeper and more special meaning behind the Easter celebration.
- In addition to telling the Easter story, families can make the day even more special by attending a religious service in the morning to help focus their minds on the true meaning of Easter.
- Planning a special Easter meal is a great way to make Easter Sunday different than any other day of the week. Whether you’re planning on having a large gathering or a simple meal with your family, making a delicious dinner will make your Easter celebration a special one. Typical Easter dinners include either a ham or lamb, potatoes, seasonal sides, some sort of bread and a fresh dessert with fruit.
- It’s often difficult to find a time where your kids are all together, in clean clothes and with clean faces to take a special picture. Easter Sunday can be a great day for a family picture, especially if done first thing in the morning while the kids are still fresh. Depending on your family picture style, you may want your kids to be in coordinating attire. While this may be a lot to ask any other day of the year, Easter outfits can be the perfect excuse to make sure everyone in the picture is coordinating and looking their very best. For the boys, consider nice pants, a colorful shirt and matching neckties. For the girls, dresses and skirts in coordinating colors with colorful hair bows make the perfect outfit. You can let your children help you pick their ensemble, especially if you are able to give them a few options that work with the color scheme you’re aiming to achieve. Promise them a special treat and Easter egg hunt after the picture and they’ll be the perfect models for your family picture.
- Finally, help make your Easter special this year by taking time to relax, enjoy the day and spend time with family and loved ones. More than pictures or delicious food, this is one of the most important ways to make your holiday celebrations special.