Many people have solid kitchen cabinets that they are considering ripping out because they are outdated. Why do this when you can update them for far less? There are many things you can do to update your kitchen cabinets that cost far less than buying new ones. Here are 5 ways to give your cabinets a new look.
1. One of the least expensive ways to update your kitchen cabinets is to replace your old hardware. The color and style of your hardware is one of the biggest things people notice when they walk into your kitchen. This simple fix can truly bring an all new look to your cabinets.
2. Give those cabinets a coat of paint. When the finish of your cabinets is looking less than stellar, painting them can give them new life. White and chocolate brown are classic colors that will withstand the test of time, but if you really want to update your kitchen's look try a more trendy color like slate grey or black.
3. Suffering from flat, dated cabinet doors? Adding some simple molding to your cabinets can give them more dimension. Most of these can attach with simple wood glue and can be stained or painted to match your existing cabinets.
4. Get new countertops. That's right, your outdated countertops can be making your cabinetry look older than it has to. Old tile, bad laminate, or a butchered butcher block can draw attention to the age of the kitchen as a whole. Since the cost of replacing your counters is less expensive than all new cabinets, it makes it a more affordable option.
5. If you are looking for a completely new look for your cabinetry, you can always replace your cabinet doors. Most cabinetry companies will allow you to order new doors and drawer fronts for your kitchen cabinets. This allows you to change everything from the color to the style of your cabinets without the cost of new ones. Remember, if you choose a new color for your new doors, purchase a matching veneer to cover the old color.
So if your cabinets are still sturdy, don't give up on them. Try one of these 5 ways to update them and you could have a completely new look for thousands less. Why throw away money? Remember that you can always put the money you save toward updating other parts of your home.