An increased awareness of the dangers of low pH levels, too much acid in the body, has caused consumers to look for ways to improve pH levels in the human body. While companies claim that expensive products such as water filters and bottled water raise alkalinity, are these products the only ways to achieve a balanced pH?
According to Luz Maria Briseno, Certified Nutritionist, there are many inexpensive ways to raise your pH levels. Here are some tips.
1. Drink plenty of water. Water is essential to flush out acid and toxins from the body. To determine how much water you need, divide your weight in half. That is how many ounces of water your body needs in order to function at its optimal potential. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you need to drink 75 ounces of water daily, which is equal to about 9.5 cups (8 ounces per cup) of water.
2. Consume green leafy vegetables. Green leafy vegetables contain oxygen, which is important to oxygenate the blood. Cells in the blood use oxygen to rid the body of toxins and waste. Oxygen also helps the body heal. Another benefit of consuming leafy vegetables is that most of them contain calcium, which the body uses to neutralize acid, thus raising the body's ph.
3. Eat regularly. Don't skip meals. Your stomach produces acid when you go long periods without eating. Most nutritionists recommend eating 5 to 6 meals per day. That would be your three regular meals-breakfast, lunch and dinner-and two or three snacks or mini meals, depending on how early you get up or how late you go to bed.
4. Avoid unhealthy foods. Foods high in saturated fat, processed foods and foods containing artificial coloring or preservatives also produce acid, thus lowering pH levels. Healthier choices are necessary in order to raise alkalinity. Include in your diet 100 percent whole grains and lean meats such as turkey, chicken and fish. Eat home-cooked meals as much as possible rather than eating from a can or a package.
5. Avoid or manage stress. Stress, whether physical or emotional, produces acid. While moderate exercise is beneficial, over-exercising could result in more acid in your body. Additionally, negative emotions can have the same effect. Taking time out for yourself and doing things you enjoy can counteract the negative effects of stress.
Some under chronic stress benefit from relaxation techniques such as aromatherapy, acupuncture or massage therapy. Dancing, having a hobby and watching funny movies also produce a positive effect.
6. Consider food supplements. There are pH drops on the market to aid in improving pH levels in the body. You can also find alkalizing-powder vegetables, which you can mix in water or juice. If you have a hectic lifestyle and find it challenging to eat healthy meals regularly, this type of supplement may aid in improving your ph levels. Health-food products such as these are normally not very expensive and you can find them at most health food stores. However, keep in mind that supplements are never a substitute for healthy nutrition.
7. Check your body's pH levels. You might find testing your pH levels regularly advantageous. You can obtain pH test strips at your local health food store or online. You can measure your pH by testing your saliva or your urine. Simply place the strip under your tongue and match the strip's color to the chart. To test your urine, hold the strip under the flow of urine. While still moist, match the color to the chart on the container. Keep a journal. If your readings are consistently below 6.8, The pointers stated above will likely help you improve your pH levels.
Overall, improving pH levelsin the human body requires a lifestyle change, but it's possible and does not have to be expensive. Simply substitute foods you're already buying with healthier products. It takes a bit more planning and forethought, but you'll reap the rewards as your health improves and you become more vibrant and energetic... Balanced pH levels lead to a healthier, stronger body.
Copyright © 2011 Ana Jackson. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part constitutes plagiarism, is illegal and strictly prohibited.