Akumal, Mexico is a tropical destination well-known for its pristine beaches, crystal clear water and luxurious resorts. But Akumal (located along the Riviera Maya in the Yucatan Peninsula) boasts much more to do than just sit on the beach all day; the area is a mecca for thrill seekers, history buffs and animal lovers.
- Swim with the Dolphins â€“ A flagship activity in most tropical destinations, swimming with the dolphins is a fun, once-in-a-lifetime adventure that the whole family can enjoy. Check out the Wet'n Wild Resort in Akumal, which offers a swim with dolphins program including orientation with the dolphins.
- Deep-Sea Fishing â€“ Fishing is extremely popular along the Riviera Maya especially during the peak season between April and July. There are myriad companies throughout the area that offer daily or half-day fishing excursions.
- Zip-Lining â€“ Explore Akumal's surrounding jungle areas from a bird's eye view. Zip-lining allows visitors to see the unique and stunning landscapes of Akumal while experience a one-of-a-kind excitement and thrill.
- Scuba Diving â€“ Explore the rich waters of the Caribbean and get up-close-and-personal with exotic fish and marine life. There are numerous dive shops located around Akumal and the surrounding area that offer scuba diving certification and daily dive excursions.
- The Jungle Place â€“ Kuxi K'aax (also known as the Jungle Place) is a world-renowned wildlife park that harbors rescued spider monkeys and royal toucans. Whether you are an animal lover or nature enthusiast, the Jungle Place is the perfect place to enjoy some of Akumal's furry residents and stunning natural beauty.
- The Tulum Ruins â€“ Tulum, which is located right on the beach, is just minutes from Akumal and boasts one of Mexico's best-preserved coastal Mayan sites. A popular site for visitors, the Tulum ruins are believed to be several hundred years old and showcase the detailed architecture typical of many Mayan sites.
- Half Moon Bay â€“ One of the area's most popular beaches, Half Moon Bay is a great place for relaxing on the beach. It's also home to some of Akumal Mexico's most famous residents: the endangered sea turtles. The sea turtles next along the beach from May through October.