There's nothing worse than making plans with friends, then having them ruined by the winter curse of frozen roads. Slick snowy roads can be a safety hazard for most cars, so it's best not risk your life to get out of the house. This winter, I've been caught in this situation several times, and have discovered several different things to do when it snows. I've compiled a list of my top picks; so I present to you, 7 awesome things to do when it snows.
7 Awesome things to do when it snows
1. Spend some time with your family. Often times the hustle of life gets our priorities in a mix. When the snow pours and traps us at home, make the most out of the situation by having family bonding time. Pull the old home movies off of the shelf and discuss the stories that are appearing before your eyes. Show your children video footage of when you were their age. This is prime time to have a real bonding experience that can be remembered for ages. There is a reason that the winter seasons is known for spending time with loved ones.
2. Drink delicious hot chocolate by a fireplace. This winter clichÃ© is a clichÃ© for a reason. It's perfect! There is nothing more enjoyable than warming up by the fire and sipping on a delicious hot chocolate. It completely makes winter a peaceful experience. Be sure to have little marshmallows to put into your hot chocolate, it's the extra ingredient that really makes the experience heartwarming. Also, this is prime time to get your hot chocolate fix, because it's not a drink that you can enjoy at all times throughout the year (hot chocolate doesn't mix well with warmer months).
3. Create some crazy snowmen. One of the running gags in the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip, was that Calvin would create snowmen performing multiple bizarre behaviors. He would create snowmen being hit by cars, being buried alive, eaten by giant snow monsters, etc. Snowmen do not have to just be your standard, smiling, Frosty; they can be anything you want them to. Be creative, and create snowmen that will bring an element of humor to people passing your house.
4. Go sledding or throw a snowball fight. These can result in being extremely fun. Pull your family members together, neighbors, etc. to have an awesome snow experience. This may force you to forge your way to the highest hill in town for a high speed sledding adventure, but I assure you that it will be totally worth it. There's nothing like sledding down a giant hill at full speed. Massive snowball fights are also a very fun experience. You can build forts and barricades to keep you protected from enemy fire. #2 on this list will be a much better experience right after sledding or having a snowball fight.
5. Watch several amazing movies. With snow on the ground, there's nothing better than laying on the couch and watching movies. It's a great way to relax and celebrate the winter season. I've compiled a list of some of my favorite movies if you'd like ideas for what to watch. Family can also be incorporated into this event. Make a family movie night, or have a date night with the one you love.
6. Do something creative. A snowy day can be the perfect muse for your creative energies. Do something creative in the area that you do things best. If you're a painter, begin your masterpiece. If you're a musician, write a brand new song. Everyone I know who slacks off from their areas of creativity always blame their lack of progress on time. A snow day is the perfect time to do it.
7. Listen to an album. This may sound a little ridiculous, but there's no better way to embrace the snow. Several albums just work much better with snow on the ground outside. Preferably choose an album that reflects the calmness of the falling snow. My favorites are Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago, The Antlers - Hospice, and Bright Eyes - Fevers & Mirrors. There is nothing better than putting a record on and watching the snow fall to the music.
I hope you enjoyed my list of 7 awesome things to do when it snows. I encourage you to try each of the listed items. You will not regret it!