Southern Maine is a beautiful place to visit whether it's sunny, overcast, or pouring buckets. While many of Maine's best attractions are out of doors, there are many things you can do indoors that will give you some of that Maine flavor. Here are 7 things you can do to explore Southern Maine on a rainy day:
1. Museums - Maine has a variety of museums within easy driving distance, including the Portland Museum of Art, the Children's museum and theatre of Maine, the Kittery Naval Museum, the Wells Auto Museum, and the Seashore Trolley Museum.
2. Historical Buildings and societies - Southern Maine is rich with historical experiences. In the village of York, you can visit the Jefferd's Tavern, Old Gaol, and 7 other buildings and watch reenactments or take a tour with a local guide as part of the Old York Historical Society. The Maine Historical Society provides exhibits in their museum and tours of the Longfellow House located in Portland.
3. Shopping - While the Outlet Malls in Kittery may include some outdoor walking you can always get inside for a bit. Don't miss the Kittery Trading Post. The Maine Mall offers a complete indoor shopping experience in case it is pouring. If you are venturing further north, you can visit the shops in Freeport including the famous LL Bean open 24 hours a day.
4. Go to Water country in NH - While this may be an outdoor activity and is technically south of the border in Portsmouth, NH, you're going to get wet anyway, so as long as it isn't too cold, this is a great way to avoid the crowds.
5. Go bowling, catch a movie, or visit an arcade - There are many movie theatres, bowling lanes, and arcades in the Southern Maine area.
6. Visit a Maine restaurant - Maine dining offers a wide range of seafood and fresh produce in the summer months. Stop by one of the many lobster huts for lobster, steamers, and other seafood.
7. Take a drive - Even in the rain, the coastline in Southern Maine is beautiful. Route 1 runs north just inland of the coast, but if you want a real view of the coast, follow some of the local roads that wind along the rocky shore.
If it's sunny, don't forget to check out 10 Summer Activities you can do in Southern Maine!