The right small bathroom decorating ideas can turn a small bathroom from ordinary and functional to cozy and luxurious. Often, you can use items you already have at home. Other times, simply rearranging things can make a difference. The best part is that you can transform your small bathroom without spending a fortune.
1. Add color to your small bathroom with towels. Take two of your best towels. Most bathrooms have a towel rack above the toilet. Neatly fold and arrange your towels on the rack. At this point, you have several options to dress up the display. Consider the following ideas:
- Fold two hand towels, in a contrasting color, and arrange them over the bath towels. This is an inexpensive way to add color to your small bathroom.
- Create a romantic look with ribbon. Tie a piece of gold ribbon around each towel, about two thirds from the bottom up, and make a bow. Double wire ribbon works best, as it will hold its shape.
- If you prefer, create a regal look with tassels in place of ribbon.
2. Hang a framed mirror. Unlike traditional bathroom mirrors, framed mirrors add style and character to a small bathroom. If you do not want to replace the mirror, simply cut a couple of wood trim strips according to your desired dimensions. Paint the strips to so they coordinate with your color scheme, and frame the mirror.
3. Install shelves. Small bathrooms generally lack adequate storage. Store mall items in decorative storage boxes, and position the boxes on the shelves. Place a candle or artificial plant to one side of the boxes. This is another practical way to add color while creating storage.
4. De-clutter the vanity. Clutter looks messy and unattractive. Instead of leaving your makeup and rollers on the vanity, consider organizing them in a stackable organizer. Keep the organizer under the sink. When you need to use the items, simply take out the organizer, and return it to its place once your done.
5. Turn your small bathroom into a relaxing retreat. Nothing creates warmth and coziness more than candles. Create a presentation with a few pillar candles on candleholders, different sizes work better. Your candleholders should correspond with your decorating style. Position a folding tray by the bathtub and display your salts, soaps, essential oils, a potpourri bowl or any other item that you find relaxing and inspiring, such as a book.
6. Consider a wall faux finish. Faux finishes are inexpensive and easy, yet they add elegance to any room. If you do not have any experience with faux finishes, you can find booklets with instructions at your local home depot or craft store.
7. Create storage in your small bathroom with a vanity skirt. If you have a pedestal sink, a vanity skirt will hide any exposed plumbing and create additional storage.
Overall, coming up with small bathroom decorating ideas is not complicated. Look around your home. Determine what organizers, baskets or other decorating items you can use to enhance your bathroom’s decor. However, when it comes to small space decorating, less is more. Create a pleasant environment, but do not over do it. Otherwise, it will have a counterproductive effect. Don’t be afraid to experiment. With a bit of imagination, you can turn your small bathroom into a cozy, relaxing retreat.
Copyright © 2011 Ana Jackson. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part constitutes plagiarism, is illegal and strictly prohibited.