Christmas is a mere 6 weeks away, it’s the time of the year when extra cash in your pocket is always welcome, and your normal day job is not good enough to support the lavish gifts that you want to give to your family and friends.
There are several ways in which you can earn extra money from home to support you through this period, but before we go into that, one needs to change their mindset about earning money.
First, be willing and able to work more if you want to make more money. We would all love to magically be able to work less and make more money, but as we know, life does not work that way. Second, be open into trying new things, it doesn’t mean that you have to do something that is outside your comfort zone, but be willing to try earning money in a different way.
Here are some ways in which you can make an extra $500 or $1,000 this month:
1. Tutoring – My wife is a full-time student as well as a part-time tutor. She is aware of tutors who are charging $100 an hour for their services, and if you do the math, it doesn’t take a lot of effort to pocket $500 per month with rates like that. If you are particularly knowledgeable about a subject and think you can pass your knowledge on, start selling it. Go to effluent areas in your city and market your services to parents who are willing to pay for your services to help their kids get ahead in life. If you’re not an astute marketer, then try tutoring companies like Tutor Doctors.
2. Sell on Ebay & Craigslist – These online juggernauts have made many people rich since these online businesses became popular, and there is still a huge market for buying and selling using these two internet platforms. Start selling unwanted junk from your house, your trash might be another person’s treasure; it’s a good easy way to earn extra money from home.
Once you run out of junk to sell, you can start using auction arbitrage methods, check and track items on Ebay and Craigslist, buy cheap and sell them for a higher mark-up on another site. For example, buy wholesale products on Ebay and sell them individually on Craigslist, there are countless ways to use these platforms to make some extra income.
If you’re good with your hands, visit your local dump or recycling plant, you’ll be able to pick up discarded vacuums, dish washers, fridges and TV’s, fix them, and then sell for a profit.
3. Writing for money – If you have good writing skills, there are so many options to make money from writing. There’s no better example than writing here on Infobarrel.com, where the revenue earned from your articles is split between you and the site. You can also make money by writing for blogs, magazines and writing articles for websites.
If you’re really good at writing articles, check out sites like elance.com, textbooker.com or odesk.com, where you can sell your work.
If you’re a good writer but don’t have time to write articles, try being an Ebay copy-writer. There are so many high-priced items being sold on Ebay at any given time, and you’ll often find that many of these listings have terrible description and sales pages. Offer these sellers your expert writing skills, and negotiate a selling fee with them, either a straight fee or a percentage of the sale. With so many Ebay listings, you can easily make some good money from doing something that comes natural to you.
4. Create Your Own Project – if you’re the type of person who has some entrepreneurial skills, then why not pursue your passion while making some money at the same time?. Check out an online platform called Kickstarter.com, where budding entrepreneurs share their creative ideas in the hope of getting funded so they can make money. A lot of independent movie makers, talented music writers use this platform to get the community help them fund their projects. Treat it like any business, write a good business proposal, present it to the community and you should easily raise the money needed to start your project.
5. Home Travel Business – If you happen to know a city or a tourist destination particularly well, it’s very easy for you to make extra money by operating a small travel business. Here’s a typical case of a friend of mine who makes a great part-time income from her favorite hobby, she’s a finance manager during the week and on the weekends, she’s a scuba diving guide in St.Thomas. She puts together scuba vacation packages, which includes lodging, meals, scuba rental equipment, her personal one-on-one scuba diving tour, and makes a great mark-up from tourists!. The possibility to earn extra money from home is endless, and people are willing to pay for personalized tours.
6. Rent Your Spare Room – If you’re lucky enough to live in a house or an apartment that has a spare room, try selling that extra room, you’d be surprised to learn that there is a great market out there for people who have spare rooms available. Some people rent their vacation homes, so why can’t you rent your spare room if you have one?. Aside from putting an ad in the paper, there is a popular online community that brings renters and providers together, it’s called Airbnb.com. If you live in a very popular city, you could easily make a few hundred dollars a month.
7. Freelancer – A skill that you might have might seem like ordinary to you, but to someone else it might be an extraordinary skill. You might be surprised to learn that people are willing to pay you for that skill, and there’s no reason you should not sell those skills if people are willing to pay you for it. Pet walking, virtual secretary, personal cook, fixing computers, home decorating are just come of the skills one can use.