This list requires a little bit of research, a little bit of leg work or elbow grease, and occasionally a little bit of your own resources. However,they are all things you could go out and try tomorrow, with the resources you already have at your disposal. Of course, always make sure you know what your local laws and codes are. You may need permits and inspections for some items.
SELLING FOOD/DRINKS MADE BY YOURSELF OR OTHERS
Bake sales have been around forever. Every summer you see kids on the corner with lemonade stands. Food is something that is always in demand. Focus on things that have low material costs, and high profit margins.
- Sell lemonade
- Sell coffee - all you have to do is brew it and leave a cup for loose change
- Resell bottled water
- Do your own bake sale
- Learn how to decorate cakes
- Grow and sell your own vegetables/flowers
EASY TO FIND PART-TIME WORK
Some jobs are easier to get if you apply at a place that hires talent for the occupation you seek. A lot of these jobs are jobs you can do from home or as a freelancer. If you work from home, you could even save more money on the back end with taxes.
- give massages
- deliver newspapers
- deliver pizzas
- bag groceries
- wait tables
- serve drinks as a bartender
- walk dogs
- OR START A KENNEL
- mow lawns
- shovel snow
- OR START A DAYCARE
- personal assistant
- personal chef
- personal shopper
- virtual personal assistant
- work conventions/catering/special events
- clean houses
- become an official
- become a house finder
The power of the written word. Stephen King got started selling his stories to his friends at school. No reason you can't do the same.
- write articles on infobarrel ;) or elsewhere online
- submit to magazines
- enter contests
- WRITE A BOOK
- write book reviews
- write other reviews
FIND JUNK AND CASH IT IN
Go visit your local dump. Know neighbor that has a fleet of dead cars in their lawn? If you do some homework and learn what to look for, treasures are everywhere.
- scrap metals (copper, aluminum, gold, other)
- other recyclable
- Look for treasure with a metal detector
- Become a picker: salvage garage sales, estate sales, etc. for antiques and other valuable items to resell
- collect loose change (especially look for junk silver)
TURN EMPTY SPACE INTO CASH
If you are willing to have people in your space, don't let open areas go to waste. People need cheap alternatives and you just might be the right fit.
- rent out rooms in your house
- rent out your garage/yard/shed for storage
- rent out your car or truck -
- become a billboard
SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
There is a source of income right between your ears. Companies are always trying to find ways to make people buy things. People always want to learn. Have a great idea for a product or business? Get to work!
- sign up for focus groups and online surveys
- teach a class - go through community ed, or develop a series of podcasts or youtube videos
- Invent Something
CASH IN SOME BODY PARTS
This one is not for the squeemish, and there are some serious ethical considerations to mull over before doing some of the items on this list. Basically, you may need to have more noble intentions than just earning cash to grow a stranger's baby, for example.
SELL YOUR CREATIONS
Go to flea markets, sign up on Etsy, or create your own business. There are lots of ways to market things you make to the public.
- crafts (pottery, stained glass, ceramics, knitting, sewing, paintings, etc.)
- record and sell a CD
- find old wood and turn it into furniture or decor
GET INTO NATURE
A walk in the woods becomes a little different thing if you know what to look for. Mother Nature has provided for mankind for eons and she'll hook you up if you let her.
- Rock Picking
- Gold Panning-
- Cut Firewood -
- Find Morel Mushrooms -
- Hunt for Deer Anlter Sheds -
- trap for fur (check laws, and I know there are some humane issues here)
Take any old thing, polish it up, and resell it for a higher price. It is a simple concept that you can do with just about anything. Here are a few ideas.
- buy old furniture and refinish it
- also works for houses
- and cars
- and almost anything else you can imagine
- scalp tickets
ASK PEOPLE FOR MONEY
"Hey dad, can I borrow some cash?" We've all been there. This is a similar idea, just with others, not family.
- collect pledges in exchange for doing something (walking 100 miles or something)
- offer to sell your neighbors junk on ebay for a commission
- sing/dance/peddle on the curb (check city codes)-
TRY TO GET LUCKY
I'm not talking about wooing someone into bed. I'm talking about tempting fate, risking chance, and so on. It's not a guarantee by any means, but if the cards fall your way..
- enter contests/sweeptstakes/tournaments
- try to get on TV and win a gameshow
- Buy a lottery ticket
- learn smart gambling (blackjack, roulette, craps, poker, horse racing, etc)
BECOME A DIRECT SELLER
All you have to do is show up to a party where someone wants some free stuff and turn in their guests orders.
- thirty-one - it's stuff to put your stuff in!
- pampered chef
- norwex - cleaning products
- origami owl
- passion parties -Could you sell a sex toy?
- mary kay
- return past purchases
- have your own garage sale
- bring books/cds/dvds to a used book store
- check the value of your antiques
- cash in your collections
- sign up/redeem credit card rewards
- sell video game accounts
- sell clothes to second hand stores or online
- check the value of your jewelery
BECOME AN INVESTOR/LENDER
- Invest in stocks, bonds, etc.
- Peer to Peer Lending
- Purchase income property
- Become a venture capitalist