Questions To Ask Yourself
When interviewing professionals you will have a lot of questions. Here's a starting point for the interview process between you and an Estate Sales professional that should make the estate liquidation task much easier.
- What does the family want?
- Are there any conflicts to resolve? How will I resolve them?
- How do I find the best estate seller in my area?
Note: Some family members try to work out in death what they couldn't in life so tread gently with your co-heirs.
Questions to Ask On the Personal Interview
- How long will the process take? What will be their procedures?
- Do they answer your questions and seem patient? Are they knowledgeable?
- What kind of security do they provide?
- How many people will be on staff for the sale?
- How are high value items handled?
Note: Before the estate liquidator arrives separate the high value items from other items and point them out during the visit. Evaluate if they seem excited or enthusiatic, clear and respectful.
Interview Estate Sellers By Phone First
- What are your companies set-up fees? Will you remove the debris and what is the cost for that?
- What kind of lead time do you need? When would there be room in the schedule?
- How long have you been in this business?
- How many estate sales do you conduct a month?
- Are you insured and licensed?
Post Sale Issues
- How do you account for each item?
- Do you write an item by item post inventory?
- How long does it take to receive a check?
- What happens to the leftovers?
- Do you leave the house clean?
5 Other Other Questions
- How is the sale advertised?
- Do you use social media?
- Will you conduct a preview for dealers?
- How will the whole process take from start to finish?
- Are there any questions I left out?
Once you find a professional liquidator you feel comfortable with and you can trust move forward by scheduling your sale.