Shop for Jewelry with Confident
Keep These Points in Mind
Purchasing fine jewelry can be an overwhelming task because of the varieties of gemstones and metals you need to consider. There are important factors that you should keep in mind when looking to purchase jewelry to ensure you are getting your money's worth. The tips in this article will help you consider all of the things you should know when looking to purchase fine jewelry.
* Purchasing from a trustworthy and reliable vendor is very important. The best way you can do this is by purchasing from a jeweler that has been around for decades. Usually jewelers with years of experience backing them means that they won't sell you cheap imports or less than quality pieces. Make sure you find a jeweler who does offer a warranty on your purchases. If a company isn't willing to back their own pieces, it can be a sign that they are selling inferior jewelry. Don't purchase jewelry from mall kiosks. Kiosks usually come and go, haven't been in business long and offer falsely stamped jewelry with plastic gemstones.
* The internet can be a wonderful and terrible place at the same time when it comes to purchasing
* Bargains can be fun to find, but if the internet and jewelry stores are full of them, be leery. If you like to shop antique malls, thrift stores, garage sales and flea markets, then you may have a better chance of finding a "diamond in the rough," so to speak. However, when you walk around at your local mall and see "real" silver jewelry for $10 or actual diamond rings for $100, you should really be cautious. Many companies sell cheap imported silver or plastic jewelry sprayed with a silver tone or gold finish. Make sure you know exactly what you are buying and stay away from very cheap jewelry, unless you have a trained eye and know you're getting a good deal.
* Jewelry made from precious metals is very common. Sterling silver is very popular due to its affordability and its elegant, timeless look. However, there is a lot of sterling silver popping up on the market today that isn't real and made in factories overseas. These types of jewelry may be "unstamped" or falsely stamped as silver. Make sure you carry a magnet with you, as sterling silver never attracts a magnet. Purchasing gold (white or rose) as well as tungsten, stainless steel and platinum can be a hard task. Many cheap kiosks at the mall sell them in fake forms and so, as a discerning shopper, you need to understand their properties. Every precious metal has an important attribute that you need to consider. Real sterling silver will never attract a magnet. Biting down on a gold jewelry piece, for 14K and up, can determine if your piece is real or not. If you leave a bite mark, it's real and, if not, chances are that there is only very little gold or none.
* The 4 Cs of diamond buying were developed in the 40s and 50s by the Gemological Institute of
Consider taking all of this knowledge with you on your next jewelry shopping trip. You will find that your overall knowledge on jewelry has greatly improved and you will get the best results for your money. This way, you are sure to avoid any embarrassment by purchasing a valuable piece.
Amazon Price: $19.99 $12.91 Buy Now
(price as of Jul 11, 2013)