Credit: dzz @ morgueFileHosting a pizza party isn't just for kids. You can host a grown-up pizza party that is fun for your friends and family. Unlike catering your next party with a call to your local pizza delivery restaurant, hosting a party with homemade pizzas is an inexpensive way to entertain your friends. You supply the basics and ask your guests to bring toppings.
What You Need
- An oven (pre-heated to 400 degrees F )
- A large table
- A cheese grater
- Knives for chopping ingredients and cutting boards
- Bowls for laying out ingredients on table
- Baling trays
- Pizza wheels (although knives work just as well)
- Plates, forks
- Plenty of napkins
As the host, you should prepare the pizza dough and sauce, but you can share the pizza topping responsibility with your guests. Ask them to bring their favorite pizza toppings and something a little unusual to liven it up.
Pizza Toppings Ideas
- Cheeses, including mozzarella, cheddar, blue cheese, parmesan
- Meats, including ham, bacon, salami, chicken, sausage, pepperoni
- Vegetables, including onions (red or white) garlic, bell peppers (green, red or yellow), jalapeños or other chillies, mushrooms, pineapple, olives
- Special ingredients, such as BBQ sauces, green onions, rocket leaves, anchovies, shellfish, artichokes, eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes
Encourage everyone to prepare the toppings at your place so you can all chop onions and grate the cheese together.
You may also want to buy some lettuce and salad dressing so that your can enjoy a nice salad with your pizza.
An hour or two before your friends are due to arrive, prepare your pizza dough and pizza sauce. Here are easy recipes for each that you may enjoy. Make sure you make more than enough for everyone. The pizza dough recipe will make four personal sized pizzas, but you may want to roll out even smaller portions so people can make several different smaller pizzas. Depending on the number of people you invite, you will probably not be able to make every one's pizza at once. By making smaller pizzas, you will give your friends the chance to graze throughout the evening. You may want to make up one basic pizza and cut it into small slices so that no one has to wait too long.
Pizza Dough Recipe
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 package Dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 cup Water, warm
- 3 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
Add sugar and dry yeast to the cup of warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. Add the butter, salt and flour. Stir well, turn out and knead until dough is smooth. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place. Punch down and allow to rise again.
Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness to fit pizza pan. Leave to rise again while you prepare the filling.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 2 cans Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Basil, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Mix ingredients in a small bowl and allow this to stand for at least half an hour to allow the flavors to blend.
As your friends arrive, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F and get stuck in. Clean up as you go and you will find your friends will help. Most of all, enjoy preparing a meal with all your friends together.