This is great fish pie recipe which is simple yet delicious!
List of Ingredients:
- 2.3kg potatoes, peeled and cut into rough chunks
- 4 medium eggs
- 900ml milk
- 225g butter
- 225g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150ml dry white wine
- 300ml fish stock
- 900g skinned smoked haddock fillet, preferably undyed, cut into wide strips
- 700g skinned salmon fillet, cut into wide strips
- 75g plain flour
- 142ml carton double cream
- 2 level tablespoons of capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 3 level tablespoons of roughly chopped flat-leafed parsley
Instructions to making the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan oven) mark 4. Place the potatoes inside a pan of salted water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20min.
- Include the eggs to the pan and cook for 8min until hard-boiled and potatoes are almost soft. Take away the eggs and put in a bowl of icy cold water. Warm the 200ml of milk.
- Strain the potatoes, bring them back to the pan and cook over a low heat for 2min. Mash potatoes until smooth. Mix in 150g of butter, half the cheese and the warmed milk and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Beat together well, cover and set aside.
- At the same time, separate the wine, stock and remaining milk between two large wide pans and bring to the boil. Add the haddock and salmon, returning the liquid to boil, then turn down the heat to poach the fish carefully for 5min or until they begin to flake. Utilizing a draining spoon, lift the fish into two 1.4 liter capacity deep ovenproof dishes and flake using a fork if required. Reserve cooking liquid.
- Melt the rest of the 75g butter in an additional pan, include the flour, mix until smooth and cook for 2min. Little by little add the fish liquid, whisking until smooth. Bring to the boil, mixing, and cook for 2min or till thickened. Mix in the cream, capers and parsley; season to taste.
- Peel the eggs, chop roughly, and scatter them covering the fish, then ladle sauce evenly over the top. Spoon potato blend covering the sauce and sprinkle using the remaining cheese.
- Bake the fish pie for 35-40min until golden brown and hot.
Note: To freeze: Cool sauce before pouring over fish and eggs. Freeze at the end of step 5 for as much as three months.
To serve: Thaw overnight at cool room temperature. Bake at 190ºC (170ºC fan oven) mark 5 for 50-60min or until golden brown and bubbling along the edges.
We hope you enjoyed this fish pie recipe!