Acne Vulgaris is the most common form of acne; it usually begins in adolescence and continues until the age of 20’s. Acne occurs when sebum, the normally oily secretion of the sebaceous glands combines in a duct with dead skin cells and bacteria to form a plug called comedo.
Blackhead - a type of comedo that occurs at the duct opening, exposing the black pigment that gives it characteristic color, this color is not caused by dirt.
Whitehead - another type of comedo in which the small white or bump forms below the duct opening.
Causes of Acne:
- One of the main causes of acne is the increased of sebum and testosterone, a male hormone. Testosterone is produced in both male and female, but more is produced in men.
- Menstruation (hormonal changes during this period).
- Hot, humid weather
- Certain drugs
- Irritation from the cosmetics.
- Foods has little effect on a person developing acne, but some foods like nuts, dairy products, fried foods, cola drinks can trigger acne breakout.
Treatments for Acne:
- Wash your face with a gentle facial wash 2 or 3 times a day.
- Don’t use harsh soap or facial wash with beads, this will worsen acne condition.
- Avoid the use of greasy creams or cosmetics.
- Use lotion, gels and creams that contain benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide is the only non prescription treatment that can prevent acne from coming back, because it goes deep into the sebaceous gland and kill the bacteria that caused acne. It also promotes faster healing of the existing comedones and prevents the formation of new ones.
- It is good to clean the skin by applying a facial mask, an egg white mask is recommended with a drop of lemon and make it stay on the face for 30 minutes. Do it 2x a week.
- You can also apply extra virgin olive oil (olive oil is water soluble) on your clean face if you prefer natural stuff. I personally used this when I have acne and rashes caused by hot weather, and it worked for me.
- Birth control pills can also help control acne in some women, because the estrogen it contains counteract the effects of testosterone.
- Use cream containing vitamin A or retinol it is the most effective treatment available.
It is also recommended to:
- Eliminate as much sugar and flour as possible, as well as fried foods, butter, and chocolate.
- Increase the consumption of fiber, as well as yogurt, which cleans the stomach and intestine.
- Take minerals daily like chromium in chromium picolinate capsules or in brewer's yeast, selenium, zinc, (this is very important since it helps in the activity of hormones).