Full Lace and Lace Front Curly Wigs
Curly lace wigs are a wonderful innovation and a great opportunity to try a change of style. They can be custom made to requirements. You might prefer loose curls or tight ringlets. There is also a choice of lengths. Wigs no longer look artificial nor is the wearer restricted to one style.
Custom made wigs can take 4 to 5 weeks to make. The exact time will depend on the hair length and colour and cap size. Curly wigs allow everyone the luxury of long, curly hair just like your favourite celebrity. The top wigs are made of one of the premium human hair types such as Indian Remy hair. A synthetic wig is cheaper but almost as versatile, allowing the chance to try a different style without such an expensive outlay. The only option not available is a high tied ponytail.
Curly lace wigs may be full lace or what is known as lace front (or front lace). A full lace wig has its cap made entirely from lace. Each strand of hair is hand tied to the lace and tied with a double knot. This allows the hair to be parted at any place on the head, giving unlimited options for styling.
By contrast, a lace front wig has a band of about the first three inches of the cap, from ear to ear, made of lace. The remainder of the wig base is made of stronger, more durable material. Front lace caps are not so inclined to tear and rip and thus last longer. The downside is that parting is only possible on the lace portion at the front.
Swiss lace is considered superior to French lace as the base for a lace wig cap. Swiss lace is thinner and almost impossible to distinguish when in place. However, because it is more sheer, it will not last as long as French lace. Although curly lace wigs can be treated in much the same way as normal hair, chemicals and heat will diminish the life of your wig.Credit: www.amazon.com
A flawless hairline and natural appearance are both possible using a lace cap. Choose a colour that matches your skin tones. Transparent is one option and pale, medium or dark brown are other options available. An even more authentic look is possible if the roots of the hair are bleached.
Before applying, wrap or braid your own hair. Ensure it lies as flat and tight as possible against the skull. You do not need an additional wig cap unless you want to. Curly lace wigs can be applied with glue or tape. If using glue, apply it to the front hairline area, allow to dry then place the wig in place. Attached in this way creates a tight bond. Some wigs have be 'baby hair' around the forehead area. This covers any portion of the lace cap which may be visible at the temple and gives a more realistic hairline. The adhesive you use may end up depending on the sensitivity of your skin to the products.
Excess lace can be carefully trimmed off. Don't cut into the wig itself or it will begin to tear. Cut up to the hairline but not into the hair. Once the adhesive is thoroughly dry, heavy sweating will not affect it although you may need to touch up the hair more frequently. You can even go swimming in your wig although a bathing cap is usually recommended.Credit: www.amazon.com
Properly applied, a lace wig should stay in place for up to a week. The biggest strain on a lace cap comes then the adhesive is removed so detach the wig carefully from the head to avoid damage. Apply the glue dissolver and give it time to work before removing carefully. Then, after removing the remainder of the glue and washing and styling, it can be used again. Various additives such as silicone hair serum will keep your wig fresh and full. The serum also helps reduce static electricity. If a lace wig is damaged it can be repaired. This is a great benefit. If you have two wigs, you will always have one ready to wear.
Measuring For A Wig
- Style your hair as you intend to have in under your wig. For short hair, wrap it flat so there are no bulges to distort the shape. Braid long hair in flat rows.
- Most wig sizes are in full inch and half inch sizes. Measure several times with a soft tape measure. Wigs will only be satisfactory if measurements are accurate.
- Measure the circumference of the head. This is all the way round the head following the hairline round the nape of the neck and round the forehead.
- Now measure from the centre of the forehead over the top of the head to the nape. Start at the hairline then straight over the crown to the nape. Unless you have hair loss, add an inch to this measurement. This gives space for gluing the wig to the hairline. Do not add an inch if you have lost your hair or if the wig you intend to purchase is a full stretch wig which will not be glued.
- The next measurement is from just in front of the ear at the sideburn hairline up over the head (following the hairline) to the same place in front of the other ear.
- Fifthly, measure from ear to ear over the top of the head. Start the measurement just above the ear. Then measure from temple to temple over the back of the head. Add an inch to this measurement too, to ensure your wig will be big enough to allow gluing.
- Finally measure the hairline width along the nape of the neck. You will normally be given diagrams to assist with taking measurements for wigs. Be as accurate as possible. It may not be possible to return a wig that is the wrong size which would be disappointing for all concerned.
Curly lace wigs are understandably popular with all those who want a full head of springy, shiny curls.