This is an easy at home recipe for zesty, tasty, amazing Fish Tacos! So healthy and fresh tasting with bold flavors. You and your family will love them, even the kids! I am happy to share this creative recipe with you and confident you will enjoy them.
The whole process takes about 30-40 minutes. This recipe feeds a family of four.The tacos pair well with your favorite margarita ( I prefer a nice fresh mango margarita), great anytime of the year. This dish is low in fat, carbohydrates, and calories overall. Just follow these instructions below for quick and easy way to make delicious Fish Tacos!
Things You Will Need
Fish & Marinade:
2 pounds white fish, ( tilapia, cod, or mahi-mahi), already de-skinned, de-boned, and fresh from the market
fresh lime juice ( from 2 limes)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 large jalepeno pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
dash of salt and pepper
Zesty Coleslaw Mix:
1 bag pre-cut coleslaw mix
fresh lime juice ( from 1 1/2 limes)
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/2 cup Smart Balance light mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 sliced red onion
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar ( it adds a sweetness)
dash salt and pepper
12-24 corn torillas( 12 for single layered tacos and 24 for double layered= 3 tacos per person for family of 4
1 tablespoon Smart balance light buttery spread
hot sauce( I prefer Crystal Lousiana Hot Sauce)
1 teaspoon olive oil
Ready, Set, Go!:
1. Cut fish into lengthly 2-3 inch pieces.
2. In a deep dish or wide bowl, combine fish and marinade mix, set aside ( depending on when you want to start, you can marinate fish for about an hour or more in fridge, but you don't have to).
3. In a large mixing bowl, toss together coleslaw mix and ingredients, cover and put aside in fridge to cool while your fryin' your fish.
4. In a large skillet, on medium-low heat, heat olive oil and light buttery spread, then throw on the fish, (as well as some garlic and jalepeno pieces from marinade), turn heat up to medium,then fry for about 5 minutes on each side, until a little golden brown.
5. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. On a large cookie sheet, spread out a layer of corn tortillas, for as many tacos as you want to make to start, heat for 2-4 minutes or until tortillas are crispy.
6. You can double up on the tortillas to make a thicker taco, but some prefer just a single layered taco. fill up with fish, top with coleslaw mix. No need for cheese or sour cream, believe me, maybe just a little hot sauce and you are good to go! Enjoy!
P.S Don't forget the margaritas!