Some people say you can substitute prosciutto with one of the many other hams available on the market, but this kind of ham really has a taste like no other. It is also so versatile. If you have a bland tasting slice of ham, you will have to dress it up quite a bit to make it taste better, but this is definitely not the case with prosciutto.
Prosciutto, paired with a few ingredients that go well together is the easiest thing to prepare and will taste better than any ham of a lesser quality.
Salad of Rocket, Nectarine and Prosciutto with Parmesan Cheese and Pistachio Nuts
100 g rocket
1 cup vinaigrette
50 g parmesan cheese
12 pistachio nuts
10 slices prosciutto ham
credit: Lisa Williams: copyright
- Make an incision around the nectarines, blanch them for 1 minute and place them in a bowl of ice water
- Dress the rocket in vinaigrette
- Take the skin off the nectarines and cut them into slices
- Wrap the prosciutto around the nectarine slices, allowing some of the fruit to show
- Chop the pistachio nuts in half
- Peel a few slivers of the parmesan cheese with a peeler
- Place the rocket on a plate and put the nectarines on top of the rocket
- Sprinkle pistachio nuts and parmesan on top.
Caprese Salad Wrapped in Prosciutto
A caprese salad is great on its own, but wrapped and grilled in prosciutto, you are going to another level. I was thinking what to wrap up inside a slice of prosciutto and thought about this little salad, it worked very well and tasted great. This is a mini version with baby tomatoes.
4 small squares mozzarella cheese
2 leaves of basil
2 baby tomatoes, sliced
2 slices prosciutto
- Slice the tomato into 4 pieces and dress with a little olive oil
- Place a piece of mozzarella in the center of the prosciutto with 2 slice of tomato on top, a basil leaf in between and close it up with the other piece of mozzarella like a sandwich.
- Close the prosciutto up like a parcel, being careful it does not tear.
- Set the oven to grill and leave the parcel in the oven for about 3 minutes.
Grilled vegetables wrapped in prosciutto
These are great snacks and appetizers to hand out to your guests and you won’t spend all day in the kitchen. Choose a vegetable that won’t take long to grill. Asparagus, portobello mushrooms and baby tomatoes go very well.
A calzone is a folded over pizza. For a starter, I would make this really small so it can either be a snack or a starter served with some salad. My favourite topping with prosciutto is rocket with parmesan and mozzarella and cherry tomatoes.
Pizza dough (enough for 2)
2 slices prosciutto
4 pieces rocket
5 slivers parmesan cheese
75 g good quality mozzarella cheese
4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- Preheat the oven the highest it will go
- Once you have your dough kneaded and shaped into a small circle the size of a saucer you can brush on some tomato paste
- Add everything in the centre and fold it over
- You have to work the edges like you do a pie, crimping them so it doesn’t fall apart
- Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes or until it’s golden brown in colour.
Avocado, Rocket, Garlic and Chile bruschetta with Prosciutto
Bruschetta are a favourite form of antipasto as it’s called in Italy, as first course. Bruschetta is basically a slice of sourdough, but you can also use an ordinary French loaf with all sorts of amazing and inspiring toppings. Prosciutto is often used as it is in so many dishes in Italy.
Often when bruschetta is topped with prosciutto it goes quite well with a bean of some kind, such as fava or borlotti. Peas, squashed with a bit of mint are also popular
4 slices sourdough bread or French loaf
1 avocado pear
2 garlic cloves
1 chile, finely sliced
- Mash up the avocado pear and season it
- Slice the bread and grill it in a pan over a gentle heat
- When the bread is toasted rub the garlic clove on the toast
- Pour a few drops of olive oil on each slice and lay a piece of rocket down
- Next comes the slice of prosciutto
- Cover the toast with avocado pear and add the chile
photo credit: Lisa Williams: copyright
Definitely experiment with different toppings here.