Over the years, there have been concerns over the health risk associated with drinks that have high caffeine content. These concerns were renewed by recent statistics released by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on deaths connected directly to the consumption of Monster Energy drinks.

 

Last December a fourteen year old girl from Maryland died from a heart arrhythmia after drinking two Monster Energy drinks in two days. FDA released details of five other death cases associated with the consumption of energy drink. The reports do not prove that Monster Energy drinks are responsible for the deaths, but it shows the need for us to consider our ways and be wise.

 

 

How much caffeine is in energy drinks and coffee?

 There isn’t a huge amount of caffeine in an energy drink. There is approximately 240 milligrams of caffeine in a 682-millilitre can of a Monster Energy drink. While a typical 225ml cup of coffee contains between 90-200 mg of caffeine.

                                                           

How much caffeine could kill someone

 For adults the lethal dose of caffeine is 5 grams. It will take 25 cups of coffee to reach this point. However, the lethal dosage for children and the elderly is lower than 5 grams.

 

Symptoms of High Caffeine intake

 If you ever lost count of how much coffee or energy drink you are consuming certain symptoms could still help you help you know when you have exceeded the limit and avoid death. According to Sarah Kerrigan, a forensic toxicologist in Texas light headedness, headaches and nausea are systems of caffeine toxicity at the early stages.

 

Conditions that could make someone vulnerable to caffeine

Any health condition that makes the heart muscles weaker can increase the body’s sensitivity to caffeine. These health conditions include obesity and diabetes. Research suggests that the late teenager from Maryland suffered from Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a genetic disorder that damages the blood vessels.  

At worst the amount of caffeine in a can of Monster Energy would likely cause jitters in healthy adults. 

For your information, the  labels on Monster Energy drinks says they are not recommended for children under 12 or for people sensitive to caffeine.

As with most indulgences, moderation and common sense are key to staying out of danger. Caffeine used in moderation is harmless.  Understand your limits and stay within them.