We live in a time when pornography is no longer a black market commodity. Even everyday people like housewives, working people and unfortunately children are becoming involved and even addicted to pornography. The internet phenomena has really increased the chances of becoming addicted to pornography. Some years back pornography was considered to be a man's thing. However, this is no longer the case. Many women are being ensnared by the claws of pornography. Some of these women even consider themselves "sex addicts" and got their start in chatrooms. Age is not a barrier nowadays and even younger women are getting hooked.
- One survey produced numbers that show that some 20 million people frequent cybersex related internet sites per month.
- Another online survey showed that 200,000 users of internet porn spend more than 11 hours a week viewing porn.
- One cybersex site had more visitors than some of the popular sites such as espn.com, barnesandnoble.com.
- Internet porn has become a very profitable business on the world-wide-web.
- In 1996 the revenue was 52 million, however in the year 1999 profits were up to 2 billion dollars, according to "The Entrepreneurs of Pornography in the Cyber Age".
Pornography is not harmless and will affect the way a person thinks acts and functions in regular life. As the old addage goes: " garbage in garbage out" and pornography is garbage. If you have children, wage a war against pornography in your home. This should include the movies and media that come over the television especially. If you have a computer, make sure that you have an appropriate block as a deterrent to "mistakes" made while browsing that will land an unsuspecting person on a pornography related site.