If you own a relatively old house, work in old buildings, or are a construction worker of some sort, then your risk for contracting asbestos into your blood stream is much higher than the average person. Having asbestos in ceiling is surprisingly very common no matter where you are, assuming the building you are is not newly constructed. The goal of this article is to help you identify this substance before it is too late for your health. Sometime will also be taken to explore why it is so important to remove asbestos from your living and working environments.
First off, having asbestos in ceiling is probably one of the easiest problems to manage if you have the right information. There is no need to be overly concerned, though I would recommend that you see a medical examiner if you feel you are having any symptoms of asbestos exposure, which will be discussed shortly in this post. You should then get a hold of some safety equipment including a face mask and a full body cover. Ensuring your own safety is most important before diving head first to figuring out if you are really in danger of asbestos exposure.
With your safety gear in hand, it is now time to determine if you have asbestos in ceiling. You should consider if your home or working environment has popcorn ceiling. While this may be a silly term, it actually describes it quite accurately. Popcorn ceilings are prone to asbestos, because for a long period during the seventies and eighties asbestos was frequently used in the manufacturing process for these materials. In essence, asbestos would make these ceiling products stronger because of its thin and hard fibers. If you have a popcorn ceiling, it is likely that you may have an asbestos problem.
Your next step should be to carefully take a sample of the potential asbestos in ceiling. The sample does not need to be large in size. Because asbestos was strewn throughout an entire popcorn ceiling like a thin coating, if there is a problem with this substance in your homes upper limit it will be easy to determine. After this sample is taken, you should then send it to a asbestos testing lab. There are several around the United States, and while the response time can vary, it is your best solution for determining if you are in danger of asbestos exposure in your own home.
If it turns out that you have asbestos in ceiling at your home or place of work, you should seek to remedy the problem as soon as possible. Even if you are not experiencing any negative side effects like coughing, wheezing, or lung disease, it is vital that you remove asbestos from your environment so that it does not cause further problems. In fact, it is well documented that asbestos only tends to impact people negatively over a long period of time. A few minutes of exposure is not usually enough to have detrimental effects that can kill you. Still, many people ignore the reality that asbestos can harm human beings.
Credit: google imagesAs you can well see, asbestos in ceiling is not necessarily the end of the world. It can easily be managed with just a few phone calls to a home inspector and a contractor, though it will generally come at a cost for sure. However, many people wait too long to take care of this problem. Even if you are not experiencing any side effects, or the symptoms are only mild like a light cough, you should attempt to remove asbestos from your environment as soon as possible. Plus, you should also see a medical professional who can determine if you have any preliminary warning signs of a severe medical condition like cancer.