Bed bugs are on the rise and with that even some of the most expensive and upscale hotels are getting them. This makes it harder for travelers to avoid them, but there are things that you can do to make sure that you avoid bed bugs while traveling. It is important to have a plan from the time that you leave your home. By having a careful plan and putting it into action you can protect yourself along each step of your trip and also protect your home. You can avoid bed bugs while traveling.
Make a plan.
To avoid bed bugs while traveling you will need to have an easy to use plan in place. You can use this article to write up a step by step plan. It is important that you include packing, investigating your room, and you need a plan for when you get home to make sure that any hitchhikers you may have picked up don't come in your home.
The first thing you need to do when you are looking to avoid bed bugs while traveling is to choose the right luggage. You can use your regular luggage, but most suitcases are easy for bed bugs to hid in. Another choice is to use a duffel bag or to use a back pack which can be thrown into the washer when your trip is done.
Plastic Travel Bags.
There are a few different companies that produce plastic bags that will allow you to seal up your belongings in your bag and in the drawers at the hotel. This can be a good choice, especially if you will be stay in one or more hotels over the course of your travels. These bags can make it easier for you to avoid bed bugs while traveling.
When you arrive at your hotel you will need to take a moment to inspect your room after you have checked. This is one of the most important parts to avoid bed bugs while traveling. To do this follow these steps.
- Either leave your suitcases in the car or place them in the bath tub. This is very important when it comes to avoiding bed bugs while traveling. This way you won't be able to have these blood sucking insects crawl into your luggage while you are inspecting the room.
You will want to do a thorough inspection of the room.
- Pull back the sheets on the bed and inspect that mattress. You want to look in the seams of the mattress. You should look for white pin head sized eggs, exoskeleton remains, and dark brown or black spots along the seams.
- Look in the bed frame for the same evidence.
- Finally look along the edge of the carpet.
- By looking in these locations you should be able to find evidence of pests if they are there. You should also check the sheets and other bedding for bugs and spots. A thorough inspection is important for avoiding bed bugs while traveling.
How to Avoid Bed Bugs While Traveling - When You Find Them.
If you are going to avoid bed bugs while traveling then you will want to make sure that you reacting correctly when you find them.
- Go to the hotel staff and talk it over with them. Make sure that you are calm and that you are letting them know what you found. Because of how things often work in hotels it is likely that the staff has no idea.
- Take another room on the other side of the hotel.
- Repeat the process of inspecting the room.
- If your second room has evidence of the insects as well then it is a good idea to ask for a refund and try a different hotel.
- Even though you are likely to feel tired by time you move to another hotel it is important that if you want to avoid bed bugs while traveling then you should inspect this new room as well.
By taking the time to do a thorough inspection you will save yourself from bites, any mental issues, and from bringing them home. Taking this time you will avoid bed bugs while traveling. Make sure that you take several minutes to get the job done.
While inspecting your room is the best thing that you can do to avoid bed bugs while traveling and it will save you from getting bitten, it is also important that you take care to execute a plan that will protect your home even if you came across the insects along your travels.
- Don't bring your bags in the house. Instead take everything out of your bags as you are ready to take care of them.
- Put everything that you can into the washer and wash on high heat. Then dry at least 20 minutes on high heat in the dryer. Take care of these items and wash more as needed.
- Inspect all items that are not soft for the pests and put them away as you finish them.
- Finally, you will need to deal with your luggage. If your bag is one that can go in the washer and dryer then this is the best option. If it is not then to avoid bed bugs while traveling you should vacuum out ever crease, seam, crack, and pocket of your suit case.
- Finally you may desire to seal your luggage in plastic. You can use a commercial plastic bag or place it into a garbage bag and seal with duct tape. This is important to avoid bed bugs while traveling.
By coming home and taking care of your things promptly and properly you will also make sure that you won't be bringing bed bugs into your home where they could cause a lot of problems, could cost a lot of money, and it will be a lot more time consuming to get rid of the pests you bring home then to make sure that you don't bring any home in the first place.
Each of these steps is important to avoid bed bugs while traveling. It is important that you plan ahead, pack carefully, inspect your rooms, and make sure that you are taking care not to bring them into your home. You can avoid bed bugs while traveling and don't have to bring them home as many others have before you, but it will require a little more work and a little more care.