Baked onion soup gratinee is a tasty and heart warming soup. The onions are sauteed, cooked with broth, dry sherry is added, then baked in separate individual crocks with large French bread croutons and cheese. Great year round, as a first course, or on those cooler nights to warm you near the fire. Enjoy baked onion soup gratinee with a salad for lunch or dinner. This recipe will nicely serve four.
Ingredients for 1 qt. baked onion soup gratinee:
8 medium yellow onions
1 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. all purpose flour
4 cups beef broth
2 tbsp. dry sherry
8 slices mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 slices French bread. Sliced 3" long, 1 inch" wide, ¾" thick.
8 slices mozzarella slices
Large shallow baking pan, ½ " water
4 1½ cup heatproof soup crocks
Knife, ladle, utensils
- Peel and cut onions into thin slices, cross sectional. 1/8" thick rings.
- Melt butter over medium low heat in a large stockpot.
- Add onions, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring until onions are translucent.
- Stir in the flour and cook on medium low heat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, cook at medium high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Turn heat down to medium low heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Stir as soup thickens. Remove soup from heat, stir in the dry sherry. Taste test, add any ingredients to flavor up the soup.
- Blend and melt in a large skillet the oil and butter over medium low heat. Fry the sliced French bread on medium high heat until golden and crispy on both sides. Each side will take 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven broiler, ladle the soup into the soup crocks about 3/4 full. Place in a large shallow baking dish with 1" water.
- Place two croutons and two slices of cheese over the soup. Broil soup 5 to 6 inches from the heat source until cheese is golden and bubbling, this will take 3 to 4 minutes. Serve while hot.