What isn't better with bacon?
TCredit: photo credit: kentbrew via photo pin cchis meal is one of my personal favorites and I like preparing it every time I have the right ingredients. It is frisky yet somehow melts in the mouth, pretty aromatic and, if ingredients are in the right ratio – it will be briefly sour, sweet and salty with a distinguishingly refreshing note added.
- 400 gr of white rice (14 pounds)
- 1 can of pelati tomatoes
- 1 can of sweet corn
- 1-2 big carrots
- 400 gr champignons (14 pounds)
- 1 onion
- 100 gr cheese (3 pounds)
- 10 slices of bacon, thinly sliced (if you are a vegetarian, then exclude bacon)
- salt, pepper, optionally spices (powdered nutmeg, oregano, basil…)
These measures are for 5-6 serves.
- Credit: photo credit: Shawn Econo via photo pin ccSlice the onion, carrots and champignons then fry them in a pan with oil. When the champignons are done, add the contents of pelati and corn cans there, while stirring. Continue to cook and stir for 15 minutes approximately, then take it off the fire and add salt, pepper, nutmeg and all other spices which are optional – a little basil always goes well with anything that contains tomato.
- Slice the cheese with a combi-grater or with a knife.
- Start the oven at 225 C.
- In the meantime, wash the white rice and put it in the pot, along with water with a 1 (rice):3 (water) ratio. Wait for the rice to get almost done (not completely), that usually takes around 10 minutes. After that, mix the contents of the pan with rice, stir, add 50 gr of cheese, then stir again, until the cheese melts and starts being malleable.
- Then, pour the contents into a large-enough fireproof or metal oven-bowl, align the contents and then arrange bacon slices over it and cover it with the remaining cheese. Then put it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
It is done, so you can enjoy your meal! You won’t regret for making it and you might be coming back to it again, whenever you get the chance!