Basketball has been around for a long time now. The invention of basketball was started on December 1891, by a fellow name James Naismith in the state of Massachusetts. James wanted to create a game indoors to keep the children warm during the cold winters. The game was not played, as we know today, but with a basket and rocks. The children would line up and attempt to toss rocks in a bucket. The first game was played on December 29, 1891. We could only imagine how long the game would of lasted if it continued the way it was created.
First 13 rules of Basketball.
- The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
- The ball may be batted in any direction with one of both hands, but never with the fist.
- A player cannot run with the ball, unless he/she dribbles and runs. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man running at good speed.
- The ball must be held by the hands. The arms or body must not be used for holding it.
- No shouldering, holding, pushing, striking or tripping in any way of an opponent. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul; the second shall disqualify him until the next basket is made or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game. No substitution shall be allowed.
- A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violations of rules 3 and 4 such as described in rule 5.
- If a side makes three consecutive fouls it shall count as a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the meantime making a foul).
- A basket shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do no touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.
- When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field and played by the first person touching it. In case of dispute the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds. If he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on them.
- The umpire shall be the judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify men according to Rule 5.
- The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a basket has been made and keep account of the goals, with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.
- The time shall be two fifteen-minute halves, with five minutes' rest between.
- The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner.
Early Days if Basketball
Basketball did not take off as fast as James thought. The final score for the first game was only 1-0 due to the fact that you could not dribble or run with the ball. Y.M.C.A and the Army helped bring the sport to the people of the world with soldiers bring basketball with them during the First World War. Many smaller leagues started in the beginning including the National Basket Ball League in 1898. Six teams took part in the league and the champions where the Trenton Nationals, followed by the New York Wanderers, the Bristol Pile Drivers and the Camden Electrics.
The N.B.A came around in the early forties in an era of the World War 2. There was a minimal amount of teams in the infancy of the nba. Powerhouses where soon born. The Boston Celtics won every NBA championships between 1959 and 1968. Many more teams where big including the 70s Lakers, and Celtics, 80s Celtics, Lakers, and Detroit Pistons. In The 90s the Bulls and Michael Jordan helped create what the NBA is now. In the 2000s there where a mixture of the dominating San Antonio Spurs and the Lakers.
The average earning for professional basketball has drastically risen since the early 50s. The average player was earning a mere $25,000 for all of the games they play. Now the average salary is averaging around $5,000,000. Some of the most well earned players are earning in excess of $20,000,000 a season. There will be no doubt an increase in the salary the players are getting in the future.