So you're trying to eat healthy, and you know that a good breakfast can make or break your eating habits for the day. But the problem is, you've feel like you've had it all. Oatmeal, healthy cereals, eggs, whole grain bagels. Is there really anything else to try?
There is still a plethora of unique and delightful breakfast ideas out there. And yes, they're healthy too!
Check out these 10 new breakfast ideas guaranteed to beat breakfast boredom.
1. Smoothie. Many of you probably have enjoyed a delicious fruit smoothie for breakfast now and again. But how about a dessert smoothie??? Sinfully delicious and still super healthy! Try this one:
Chocolate PB Dream
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tbsp cocoa/carob powder or 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
Combine above ingredients and blend until smooth. Mmmmm desserty deliciousness!
2. Steak and Eggs. While this may be a bit heavy for some people, it is certain to hold you over until lunchtime! Not to mention it is oh-so good. This is a great choice for a paleo breakfast too!
3. Huevos Rancheros. Tired of the same old eggs? This spicy version is a great way to mix things up! You may make them with pre-made salsa, but homemade always tastes best!
4. Fruit Salad. Forget your classic berry parfait. Use ANY fruit you want to make this little bowl of deliciousness. Combine:
1/2 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
Your favorite fruits, chopped and/or diced. I love using pineapple, grapes and strawberries.
A drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of stevia, for sweetness.
5. Make your own cereal. Combine homemade (or low-sugar store bought) granola and some nuts and dried fruit in a bowl. Pour on your favorite milk and voila! Instant homemade cereal!
6. Banana Bread Oatmeal. The sweetness of banana bread, minus all the extra sugar. To make:
Combine 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup water. Microwave or cook on stove top until done. Add a mashed banana (you may wish to toss in some slices as well), 1/2 tsp cinnamon, a couple pinches of stevia or a drizzle of honey. Sprinkle with walnuts and/or chocolate chips (if you like your banana bread chocolatey). Enjoy!
7. Pumpkin Toast. For a taste reminiscent of the holidays: Top 2 pieces of toasted bread with pumpkin puree. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with pumpkin pie seasonings.
8. Pancakes. You may think delicious pancakes are a big no no for a healthy diet. But then you've never tried THESE pancakes:
Whole Wheat Spinach Pancakes
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 very ripe banana
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Add milk, butter, banana, spinach and egg to a blender. Blend until smooth. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, then mix in the wet ingredients. Cook on a medium low heat.
9. Bacon Breakfast Sandwich. Love the greasy McDonald's breakfast sandwich but hate the calories? Try this instead:
Top a whole wheat english muffin with a couple strips of bacon, a few slices of avocado, an over easy egg and a dash of hot sauce (if desired).
10. Quinoa Breakfast Cereal. A great low carb alternative to oatmeal. Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Top with some warm honey and cinnamon, nuts and dried fruit or whatever else you may like!