Bed bugs are horrible little critters. They bite regularly, live in or near your bed, and they are terribly hard to get rid of. Historically they were a problem that people often just lived with. Then chemicals originally designed for cockroach extermination were found to be very effective on bed bugs as well. However, these were banned after the effects to the Earth and the environment became known. Because of the difficulty of getting rid of bed bugs it is often recommended that you hire a professional to help you rid your home of bed bugs. However, not every professional exterminator has dealt with bed bugs, has had success getting rid of bed bugs, or even has a good way of going about so you want to make sure that you find the right one before you pay for any services.
Call the Major University in Your Area.
Because bed bugs are becoming a huge issue in so many areas a lot of research is being done at the major universities. While your university may or may not have a lot of information on the whole issue, they may be able to direct you to an exterminator or program in your area who are having success getting rid of bed bugs.
Call Your Local Exterminators.
In many locations there are at least a few different options for hiring an exterminator. You want to give all of them a call and interview them for the different responses that they may have. You want to make sure that you are choosing the exterminator that is most likely to get rid of your bed bugs. Often getting rid of bed bugs requires several treatments and you want to make sure that you are going to get rid of your bed bugs and not paying for ineffective services over and over again. Here are a few questions that you should ask.
- The first thing you need to know is that the company you are going to be working with has had experience in getting rid of bed bugs. You definitely don't want to be the first time a company has tried to get rid of them (unless they are doing it with a guarantee that one price will be all that it takes until they get rid of them and that they won't be charging for subsequent treatments).
- Next you want to know what their success rate is. On average how many treatments does it take before they get rid of the bed bugs?
- What methods do they use to try and get rid of bed bugs? A company that has a high success rate should be using more than one type treatment to get through the process of getting rid of the bed bugs. In fact, they should vacuum, steam, and do other non-chemical things to aid in getting rid of the bed bugs. Treatment should also include one or more types of chemical options.
- How much is it going to cost and what is included in that? You want a detailed plan. You want to make sure that they have a thorough plan and that they will let you know what comes next should the first treatment not work (and you should be aware that it is likely going to take a lot more than one treatment to get rid of the bed bugs). How much are these other treatments going to cost? Many times the treatments used after the first treatment are more expensive and things just get more and more costly as time goes on.
- Finally you also want to know if they have insurance or if you can purchase a small fee insurance plan that will cover your stuff should they break something or ruin something while they are doing their treatment. You don't want to pay them large amounts of money without some sort of insurance should something happen.
While you are doing the "interviews" you want to make sure that you are keeping track of all the information. You need to make sure that you are able to choose the company that will meet your needs. You should choose the company that has the best cost effective plan while also considering how well they have done implementing such plans in the past.
Free Inspections and Plans.
While not all companies will come to your house, check out your problem, and give you an idea of the best plan of action, if a company does offer this then you should take that. Have them come, check out your bugs and the signs of infestation, and give you a detailed plan. You don't want to pay much for this because getting rid of your bed bugs is likely to be expensive, but it can definitely be worth it if it is free.
Most companies don't offer any guarantees when it comes to bed bugs. However, if you can find one that feels confident that they can guarantee their work then they would be your best choice and will even be worth more money. You have to consider the following to see that this is the case.
- A company that doesn't guarantee their work doesn't know for sure that they can get the bugs the first time around. If they felt confident that they could then they would also be willing to offer you a guarantee because they would have nothing to lose.
- A company that charges less (even if it is only 25% of the company that offers a guarantee) may have to come back a large number of times. This could become costly over time.
- For example, if one charges $250 a room and the other cost $1000 a room, the guarantee would be worth the $1000 because you could find yourself paying lots more than $1000 a room with the company without a guarantee.
Make the Choice.
You don't want to make the choice too quickly. It is important that you choose the best option for you and your needs. However, you don't want to wait too long either because each day that you wait you are letting your bed bug population grow larger.
Bed bugs are very challenging to get rid of with the current resources available. With that in mind it is important to make a careful choice about the exterminator that you choose to use. Make sure that they have worked at getting rid of bed bugs before and that they are confident that they can do so in your home. Compare costs and make sure that they have a good plan. Have your eye open for what the future may cost you and make sure that your stuff is insured in case of issues.