Bed bugs are horrible little creatures and finding out that you have them is a horrible feeling. However, before panic sets in there are several things that you need to know. There are things that you need to know about the medical aspects of having these little blood sucking insects, there are things you need to know about getting rid of them, and there are things you need to know about cost. Before you do anything, take a moment to ponder these things and then make your plan of attack to get rid of the bed bugs.
Having bed bugs is really scary. While the bites are itchy and often uncomfortable there are things that you should know before you panic.
- Some people have terribly itchy bed bug bites while others don't have any response to the bites at all. No matter what your response is to the bites you find great information on treating the bites in this article on Treating Bed Bug Bites.
- Bed bugs can cause infections if they are scratched. This is really caused from bacteria in the nails that is transferred to the open skin. If you can keep from scratching then you are not going to get infected. However, these bites don't cause anything worse than other types of bug bites.
- While bed bugs are like many other blood sucking insects, they don't have the same concerns to your health. You can't catch HIV, you can't catch malaria, or viruses. There are some indications that it might be possible to get hepatitis if one person sleeping in the same bed has it and the other does not. However, the normal behavior of the these blood sucking insects is to eat on one person and not move to the second person. This behavior makes even this transfer unlikely.
It is never fun to deal with bug bites, especially those that happen each night as you sleep. However, they are easy to treat, don't make you ill, and won't give you horrible conditions.
Getting Rid of Them.
Bed bugs are very hard to get rid of now that harsh chemicals that do terrible things to the Earth have been banned, it has become a huge struggle to get rid of these pests. There are several things that you need to know before you tackle the project.
- Chemicals alone will not do the job. That is the simplest way to put it. You will need to wash clothing and bedding on a regular basis, seal off hiding spots, cover your mattresses, and choose chemicals or powders to get rid of them. You should see the following articles to make a plan for getting rid of these nasty pests: Bed Bugs: Getting Rid of Them and Bed Bug Chemicals.
- There are many tales where people have fought bed bugs for a year or even two years. These are often disheartening to those who have just found out that they have them. While they aren't easy to get rid of if you stay on top of regular vacuuming, cleaning of bedding, keeping the area clutter free, and choosing powders and sprays to get rid of them you can be bed bug free in 6 to 8 weeks. It isn't easy, but it is the better choice.
- Many people recommend steam cleaning to get rid of bed bugs. However, there are a few things that you should know before you decide to go this route and it is often something you shouldn't do throughout the treatment process. Check out this article on Steam Cleaning for more information.
Make a plan and stick with it and you will be able to get rid of these insects. It will take a lot of hard work, but it will be worth it.
Giving Them Away.
Bed bugs are pretty easy to give away, but they really aren't the kind of thing that you want to give your friends and family or even your worse enemy. Because of this you need to make sure that you are taking care to keep them to yourself.
- Bed bugs can easily be given to others when you are disposing of items. This can be done because others pick up your disposed items or because bed bugs can travel far and may go toward your neighbors house when being taken out of yours. It is best that you make sure you dispose of items carefully. Check out the article on how to Properly Dispose of Infested Items.
- People who visit your home are at risk. In most cases this isn't a huge issue because bed bugs tend to be in the bedroom and only in extreme cases are they found in other locations in the home. However, it is important that you take care when people are coming over. To do this vacuum the area really well before your guests arrive and make sure that you seal the contents of the vacuum in a garbage bag with duct tape and dispose of it outside immediately.
- When people are staying over or there are those that come often and stay long then you want to make sure that they take precautions such as checking for bed bugs when they leave, throwing clothe items that are traveling to their home in the dryer for 20 minutes or more, and using plastic bags instead of suitcases, backpacks, or other bags.
See the article Bed Bugs: Keeping Them To Yourself to find out other ways to protect your friends and family.
Bed bugs are nasty little creatures and often having them is a horrible thing. However, there are things that you need to know when it comes what they can do to you, how to get rid of them, and how to make sure that you don't give them to others. Bed bugs can certainly make you itchy and cause a lot of discomfort, but they can't cause horrible viruses or diseases. They are hard to get rid of, but with hard work you can do it in about 6 to 8 weeks. It will require that you work each day, but in the end it will be worth it. You can also take care to make sure that you keep the bed bugs to yourself and that you don't spread them to your neighbors or your friends and family members.