Buying bedspreads for teenage girls need not be complicated if you know what you’re looking for. Various online outlets sell these bedspreads and most go for less than a $100. I’ve also been on a hunt for bedspreads for my 2 daughters and these are the results of my findings. I hope it helps you to pick up bedspreads your daughter(s) would love!
Without further ado, let me say there’s a huge difference between comforters and bedspreads.
Differences between Comforters and Bedspreads
If you’ve always been confused about the different bedding accessories, like I have been, let me quickly tell you that a bedspread is different from a comforter, duvet cover or quilt. Surprised? You bet I was!
For starters, bedspreads are ornamental bed covers and thinner than the comforter. Sometimes, they will have a backing that makes them a bit heavier but comforters are always thick to provide warmth.
Amazon Price: $69.98 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 4, 2013)
Secondly, a comforter is designed to cover only the top of the mattress while a bedspread is made to cover the whole bed and droop low enough to cover the box spring. By design, a comforter is usually smaller than a bedspread and requires a bed skirt to cover the box spring area.
Both comforters and bedspreads come in specific sizes for twin, full, queen, or king size beds. Twin beds, also known as single beds, are the smallest, followed by full, and queen. King and California king are the biggest.
Just as comforters and bedspreads differ, a duvet is different from a duvet cover. A duvet cover is used alongside a comforter, but not a bedspread.
The best way I can explain it is by putting it in layers.
First Layer: The comforter or duvet is placed atop your fitted bed sheet.
Second Layer: The duvet cover is placed atop your comforter or duvet.
Third Layer: The bedspread is placed atop everything including your pillows. It wraps up all the loose ends and brings out the beauty in your bedroom décor.
I hope this wraps up the differences in an explanatory way. Take a look at bedspreads for teenage girls to see if you find anything that will suit your budget!
Amazon Price: $59.98 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 4, 2013)
Things to Consider When Choosing a Bedspread for Teens
The bedspread you choose for your teenage girls will most likely bring out the beauty in the bedroom décor, so, take your time and choose what’s best for your girls. To have a really inviting and luxurious bed room, check out the following things:
- Material It is Made of: Qualitative bedspreads are durable, comfortable and provide warmth. The materials they are made of can also impact on the quality; so, check the stuff they are made of. Straight off, I can tell you good quality bedspreads are made with materials like wool, cotton, satin, velvet, etc. These fabrics tend to have a firm weave and bulky threads that boost the durability and richness of the bedroom accessory. Bedspreads are available in a broad range of fabrics including synthetic and natural. Bedspreads made with synthetic fabrics are not ideal if your daughter has allergy problems. You might take some time to talk to experts about this before choosing a bedspread for your daughter.
- Theme: The teenage years come with attitude and the evolution of a distinct personality. You should know the personality of your daughter to be able to choose what she loves. The bedspread should match the attitude of your daughter and what she loves.Themes revolve around polka dots, to stripes, to animal-printed, to floral, colour, etc. You can also create a bedding color scheme by blending different textures, fabrics, colours and patterns. Stripes, polka dots, animal prints and florals can all help you pull off a rounded look.
- Your Teenagers’ Bed Size: Knowing the exact measurements of your daugter’s bed is essential to avoid buying an oversize bedspread. Don’t even consider the idea of buying a bigger bedspread because you’ll end up with a bedspread that has filthy ends. That’s not too good, especially if she decides to bring a guest home.
- Comfortability: If you want your daughter to enjoy her sleep, getting her a comfortable bedspread is the way to go. Consider the style and feel of the bedspread. The bedspreads with higher thread counts will be softer and smoother to the touch. Consider soft materials like satin or cotton; while giving the materials with a harsh texture a wide berth. To have an organized setting, you might want to match the bedspread to the general colors and patterns used in your daughter’s room; if you have a traditional or modern look, you will want to choose patterns and colours that match this.
- Durability: When buying this accessory, durability is a must. Even if you have to pay more, make sure to purchase the best so it can last (after many washes) and also save you money as you won’t have to buy another one for some years. Even if you have to pay more now, please know it’s a worthy investment in the long run.
- Care and Cleaning: Is it machine-washable? Read all care and cleaning instructions before making a purchase. Check the temporary label, a hang tag or the packaging for cleaning instructions. For more help, consult your local dry cleaner to enable you choose a bed spread that will not only be perfect for the bedroom of your teenage girl but would be washable.
Amazon Price: $167.99 $119.99 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 4, 2013)
Summary and Action TakeAway
As mothers, our teenage girls are special to us and I see no reason you shouldn’t go the whole hog to make her feel special. Say I love you to your daughter(s) by getting her one of these lovely bedspreads today and build memories she would never forget!