Choosing beginner piano music is an important step in learning to play the piano. If you have a piano teacher that you take lessons from then it's most likely that they will choose the music for you. If you are learning to play piano on your own then this becomes a more difficult task to take on. One option you have is going to a local music store. They should have a good selection of music and a salesperson there should be able to guide you in the right direction for choosing music. Another option you have is to search the internet for recommend music for a beginner piano player. To help you out with some examples, the following is a short list of songs that are great for beginners:
- Hot Cross Buns â€“ Only uses three notes. Great first song.
- Mary Had a Little Lamb â€“ Easy and familiar song.
- Jingle Bells (there's a short, easy version of this)
- Ode To Joy â€“ Will feel very similar to playing a scale so it is great practice for beginners.
- Row, Row, Row Your Boat
- Camptown Races â€“ Easy song, but fun and fast to play.
- London Bridge
- We Wish You A Merry Christmas
- Go Tell it on the Mountain
- Amazing Grace â€“ Slow tempo that should be easy for beginners to play.
- Bingo â€“ Very repetitive song.
- America The Beautiful
- Oh, When the Saints
- Skip to my Lou
The above list should provide an excellent starting point when learning to play the piano. The first step in choosing a song is to make sure it is within your skill level. Make sure you know the key that the piece is written in and are familiar with the time signature. The next step is to make sure the piece coincides with any practice exercises you are doing. For example, if you are learning to play a G Major scale make sure a song you choose is written in the Key of G. Another example would be to choose a song that uses eighth notes if that is something you are working on. The music should be within your skill level, but offer you a challenge at the same time.
There are many options available when choosing sheet music to play. As a beginner piano player make sure you do the proper research to choose music that is appropriate for you. If the music is too challenging you will only frustrate yourself, and if the music is too easy you might be wasting your time.