Since you were a very small child you have felt an urge, a need, to live in the gender that you feel most comfortable in. You have always felt that you should be someone else. You should be treated like someone else, dress like someone else and act like someone else. You secretly wish that you were born the opposite gender that you, through the fickle finger of fate, came into this life as. All the ways your parents, friends, teachers and even strangers are teaching you how to be feels as wrong as an ill fitting pair of pants; you just can't wait to get them off. You have gender dysphoria, and it is going to bother you day in and day out for the rest of your life. The question is: did you choose to be this way? Did you make the conscious choice to have these feelings? At what point did your young innocent mind decide that you want to go against the grain of society at large; taking on the hardest battle that a person can possibly take on in this frail human existence.
- It is as much of a choice as being gay, or straight. You were born with these feelings and quite frankly there is nothing you can do about having the gender dysphoria.
- There is a considerable amount of medical evidence that would indicate that the part of a transpersons brain that determines sexuality has in fact developed a structure that is indicative of the opposite gender they were born with. Therefore it is a physical condition and choice has absolutely nothing to do with it.
- There are many examples in nature of creatures changing sex in order to assist with the needs of the group: The Wrasse fish for example "Placing two male Labroides dimidiatus wrasses in the same tank will result in the smaller of the two becoming female again" according to wikipedia.
- There are also many examples of animals living in same sex relationships "Man and womankind need to get with the program and stop living in their little make believe boxes. Nature has many ways of expressing itself and we are one of her beautiful expressions" ~ Mark Angelo Cummings, transitionradio.net
- One of the most obvious point to be made as to why it is not a choice is simple, why would anyone choose to be marginalized, beaten, ostracized, discriminated against and treated like a third class citizen? The answer of course is they would not, unless they had too.
- You cannot change what you are. If you are cisgender and heterosexual, when did you choose to be so? When did you choose to be bisexual or pansexual? When does a cat decide that its feline?
The myth that being transgender, or gay for that matter, is a choice is just that; a myth. It serves one purpose and one purpose only, giving people the excuse to attack, marginalize, persecute and discriminate against a part of society that mainstream people do not understand. Of course because they lack understanding, they fear, which leads to hate. Leading to brain dead excuses why it's ok to treat people badly and withhold rights that most people take for granted. This particular fear mongering is no better than the propaganda used in world war two to make the Japanese look villainous and give the Nazi's an excuse to murder millions of innocent people. " The righteous rise With burning eyes Of hatred and ill-will, Madmen fed on fear and lies To beat and burn and kill....quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand" ~ Neil Peart, Rush. The only real choice being made here is the one to hate and marginalize a very talented, intelligent and thoughtful part of our rainbow of experiences as human beings. Choosing to be transgender is a myth, and a very deadly one at that.